Go to footer

Master Slave Cylinder

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Master Slave Cylinder

Postby antodeco » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:26 am

Hi All,
I am unable to get into gear on my 1275GT. I have been told that I should try bleeding the master slave/clutch cylinder? Can anyone point me in the right direction how to do this? I dont have really mechanical experience, but I will always give it a try and see if I can do it myself!!

Thanks
antodeco
Getting used to the place

Re: Master Slave Cylinder

Postby irlmin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Ok make sure the reservoir is full of fluid , have someone in the car press the clutch pedal up and down until they feel some resistance , then have them hold the pedal down AND keep it there while you loosen the 7/16 th headed bleed screw on the slave cyl (which is on the clutch housing and operates the clutch arm ) you should hear and see a release of clutch fluid and air mix , quickly tighten the screw and repeat until you have clean fluid and no air , should you not have a functioning clutch at that stage you may need a new cyl or in fact both master and slave . We also have found the flexible pipes to collapse internally and cause blockage of the fluid . while you are in the region make sure you get some penetrating oil in the clutch arm 'pivot point' where the arm pivots in the clutch cover , these can sieze and again cause problems , if you have any further problems give me a pm or call ( 0868663828 ) and I will talk you through the job .
Gerard
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby antodeco » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Gerard,
Thanks for the response. I actually have no idea where to start, ie where the cylinder is nor where the clutch housing is...
antodeco

Postby antodeco » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction to where the clutch housing is? Can't find my Haynes manual. Thanks
antodeco

Postby irlmin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Looking in at the engine /box unit from the front its on the left , if you follow the fluid pipe from the clutch master cylinder ( the one on the right of the 2 on the bulkhead) this is a steel pipe to begin with and it joins a flexible rubber pipe which goes to the slave cylinder .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help