Go to footer

rust

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

rust

Postby eamonn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:08 am

hi ,
i hav a 94 rover mini mayfair its ben parked up and it has 24000 genuine miles. it has a goodbit of rust and before i bought it it was in a small crash . i am doing a full restoration but while sanding it iv noticed what looks like worms under the paint i reckon its some kinda rust but its hard to grind of with outmaking dips in the metal . any suggestions please :)
eamonn
Getting used to the place

Re: rust

Postby irlmin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Eamonn,
There is usually only one way to rid your mini of rust ------- replace the offending panel or panels , you can deal with small 'spots' by sanding back to good metal and treating the spot with a decent 'rust eater' type of product and priming and painting after . can you take some photos of the problem areas and I can then advise your best course of action .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: rust

Postby eamonn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks G,
i sanded away at it with the sanding disc on the angle grinder, got rid of it for me :)
eamonn
Getting used to the place

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help