Go to footer

sill

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

sill

Postby eamonn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:52 pm

i got a sill to put on :) drivers side . instructions please
94 rover mini mayfair
eamonn
Getting used to the place

Re: sill

Postby irlmin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Do You have the correct equipment and experience ? you will need to remove the old sill and rectify any rusting on the inner sill / jacking point etc , prime the inside of the sill and then weld on the new sill , prime and stonechip followed by a coat or 2 of body colour , when you are finished spray some 'waxoyl' type product into the cavity to protect from future rusting , remember the sill is a structural panel on the mini and MUST be fitted correctly to retain the structural rigidity of the shell .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby eamonn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:54 pm

iv welded the inside sill from the inside i cut out the rust and pt a peace bigger than the hole i coverd i put tiger sealnt over the welds and over that im puting the sheets dat u melt on to it.outside same with the tiger sealnt but i used stone chip sealnt . looking at the outer sill that on it now should i cut it at the bottom and pull it out or cut it at top and bottom and weld the new one to suit
much appreiciated
eamonn
eamonn

Postby irlmin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 am

Cut the sill using a cutting disc at the top edge where it joins the side panel and push down to expose the spot welds on the floor which can be removed then . rim off any excess on the joint surfaces before trial fitting the new sill .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby eamonn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:06 pm

cheers thank u realy aprietiate it
thanks
eamonn

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help