Go to footer

engine ?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

engine ?

Postby eamonn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 pm

hi, im back Again
i have an automatic mayfair 94' when i go through the gears in the box from park to drive the engine jerks backwards going through reverse and forwards when it getn to drive . ive changed the front subframe bushs and rear front bushs aswell . any ideas what it might be ???
eamonn
Getting used to the place

Re: engine ?

Postby irlmin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:19 am

If you are confident the mounts are ok and the idle speed is correct it may be internal ,what mileage is on the car ?
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby eamonn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 am

eamonn

Postby eamonn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:20 pm

its ben parked up in a shed for 6 or 7 years im giving it a good coat of make up . the engin/gearbox oil is probobly thick and lumpy and the petrol is gone off. i was going to wait till its finished to give it a full service because its only being started and driven when its in the way and has to be moved. would the oil be the proboblem ?
eamonn

Postby irlmin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Possibly and also if its idle for long periods there could be contamination on the surfaces of the bands and plates in the box , be very careful how you go from here and when you are changing the oil make sure you fit a filter as well ( we stock them in case you have difficulty getting one ) run the car to operating temp before you drain the unit and refill with a good mineral 15/40 multigrade oil NOT synthetic or semi synthetic !!!!!!!! drive it very gently for the 1st few miles and see how it goes ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby eamonn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:43 pm

ok il try that and fingers crossed :)
thanks
eamonn
eamonn

Postby eamonn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:31 pm

the service didnt work after that i discoverd that most of the movment was comming from the top of the engine . i changed tha engine stabiliser bar bushes and hey presto it didi the trick .
thanks for the help :)
eamonn

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help