Go to footer

Best Oil?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Best Oil?

Postby Jonknight » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi everyone,

was wondering what is the best oil to use in my MPI Cooper. Had oil changed recently but gearbox doesnt seem as smooth as it was, maybe the oil is too thin?? I have heard that classic 20w 50 is non synthetic is the best. Is this true and what brand should I go for?
Jonknight
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am

Definitely 20W/50 oil and NO fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil. Valvoline 20W/50 racing oil is outstanding and will not break down. I have used a cheap 20W/50 recently and my engine lasted 1600 miles before the bearings let go! :(
So go for Valvoline as it is very good.
There is a motor factor in Ballincollig that stocks it if you can't get it.
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Re: Best Oil?

Postby Jonknight » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Mite try that alright its hard to get the car into 1st and 3rd. Doesnt happen all the time but things were perfect up until it was serviced in my local garage and though I requested suitable oil I have a feeling they put something else in there. Would this affect the gear change or is there a more sinister culprit? :(
Jonknight
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Best Oil?

Postby MiniMpi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Jonknight wrote:Mite try that alright its hard to get the car into 1st and 3rd. Doesnt happen all the time but things were perfect up until it was serviced in my local garage and though I requested suitable oil I have a feeling they put something else in there. Would this affect the gear change or is there a more sinister culprit? :(

It could effect the gearchange if the wrong grade oil was put in it alright.
Best put the right one in and at least you rule that out then ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help