Go to footer

Fuel Leak?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Fuel Leak?

Postby antodeco » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 am

Hi All,
Think my GT has a fuel leak. I noticed a very strong smell of petrol when I turned it on (alot more than usual) and when I popped the bonnet, I could see steam rising, so switched it off straight away. I managed to see where I believe it is dripping from. I have the photo below.

My questions are:

Does it look like a fuel leak?
Is it safe for me to drive it? (Im assuming not)
Is it a big fix?

Im totally inept when it comes to engines, so any advice appreciated.

Thanks guys
antodeco
Getting used to the place

Re: Fuel Leak?

Postby irlmin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Have you determined it is petrol ? if so its either the 'needle' valve on top of the float chamber at the side of your carb ( if original H4 ) or perhaps a flexible petrol hose to the carb from the fuel pump , if the former you should have an 'overflow' pipe exiting on the drivers side of the engine under the subframe in fact close to where the liquid stain is on the pic , as a temporary measure you could try 'tapping ' gently on the float chamber where the fuel pipe enters the carb and this may dislodge any debris from the valve . if this sorts it you should then strip and clean the carb and fit an inline filter . if you could post a pic of the carb I can id it for you as depending on age etc you may have an HIF 44 which even though is similar the float chamber is underneath the carb body .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help