Go to footer

To Runflat or not to Runflat?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

To Runflat or not to Runflat?

Postby yiska » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 am

Hi guys,

I'm currently using runflats on my mini but need to replace them (2 worn low and now a puncture!). I've been calling around to replace and didn't realise how expensive they are (looking at around €200 each from what I've been quoted so far).

Whilst reading up on reviews I've noticed that some car owners say runflats are not great for the handling and don't last that long. Personally I've not had a problem but then again, I've only driven my Mini with runflats so I can't really compare.

I was thinking about getting some nice non-runflats and then just signing up for some roadside assistance just in case.

Any thoughts or advice on this? :)
Mini Cooper S R52 - 06
yiska
Just Joined!

Re: To Runflat or not to Runflat?

Postby irlmin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:58 am

Runflats are a great reassurance if things go wrong as you can continue with your journey for 50km with no difficulty whatsoever , I always think another factor in deciding to go non runflat is your driving experience in that if you are only on the road for a short period stick to the runflats and should something go wrong like instant deflation at speed you won't have a control issue . if however you have lots of driving experience and would have no problem controlling a major 'blowout' then consider non runflats . the ride quality will be much better with non runflats , (put a can of 'flatfixer' in the boot to fix and re-inflate a puncture )BUT stick to one of the 'premium ' brand of tyre as there are some tyres on the budget market that are useless and have NO wet grip whatsoever and are noisy as well , in fact we regularly have customers in with what they think is wheel bearing noise and when we ask did you just fit those tyres the answer is always "yes", there is one budget brand which crops up all the time :mad: :mad: , I have always removed the rungflats from new on My MINIs and use either Continental or Michelin tyres and have never had a puncture !!!!!!!! ( there I tempted fate now ) however we fit runflats to My Daughters MINI for the reassurance . most runflats are premium brands and you wont have any grip or handling issues . what size wheels are you using ? this will give me an idea what price you should be paying .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby yiska » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:35 am

HI Irlmin,

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for 205-45-17 :)
Mini Cooper S R52 - 06
yiska
Just Joined!

Postby Derfinn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:47 pm

For the peace of mind, I stick with run flats.
I bought a pair last September of the sake size, and paid €140 each.
Derfinn
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby irlmin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:20 pm

yiska wrote:HI Irlmin,

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for 205-45-17 :)

The tyre shop next door to our workshop has Avon runflats in that size for € 154 each supplied ,fitted and balanced . other brands I can check Monday .
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby yiska » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:01 pm

irlmin wrote:The tyre shop next door to our workshop has Avon runflats in that size for € 154 each supplied ,fitted and balanced . other brands I can check Monday .

That is much better! Do you or anyone else know much about Avon runflats? Appreciate the help :)
Mini Cooper S R52 - 06
yiska
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 pm

They are pretty good , we have a few customers that use them and no problems . Avon are now owned by BF Goodrich one of the worlds biggest tyre manufacturers .they perform well on Tyretest.com as well
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby TBi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:20 pm

I went to Conti SportContact 5 non-runflat and they made a nice difference. Much quieter in the car and more comfortable. I just need to change the front two.

The run-flat versions of the tyre are supposed to be good too.

If you want i'll sell you my 10k old Pirelli P-Zero (not the crap Eufori) run flats for a song so i can change to conti's all round :D
TBi
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Ace of Spades » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:04 pm

yiska wrote:
irlmin wrote:The tyre shop next door to our workshop has Avon runflats in that size for € 154 each supplied ,fitted and balanced . other brands I can check Monday .

That is much better! Do you or anyone else know much about Avon runflats? Appreciate the help :)

Hi Yiska,
I currently have Avon ZZ3 runflats 205-45-R17 on the front and Pirelli Eurori runflats 205-45-R17 on the rear of my Cooper S.

I find the Avons quite good (and they get great reviews online) BUT I think the Pirellis were better (I had them on the front first and rotated them to the back and Avons to the front). I found the grip of the Pirellis much better when they were on the front.
To be fair to the Avons, I only rotated them to the front in November and the average temperature hasnt been above 5 degrees since :-)

HOWEVER, (just to muddy the waters) I will be getting Michelin Pilot Sport SP2 NON runflats next.

Hope that helps... a bit,
JK
Ace of Spades
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby irlmin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am

I use Michelin PS2s on the Clubman in 205x40x18 and they are awesome , just no vices at all , wet or dry , wear is also good , on My 07 Cooper R56 I used Continental ContiSport 2s in 205x45x17 and also found these excellent allround .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby yiska » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 am

I think I'm gonna stick with the runflats, seems the safest option to me :)

Irlmin, do you have the number for the garage selling the Avon's? Seems like a good deal to me.

And TBi, thanks for the offer but I need to replace all 4 so gonna get the same ones all round :)
Mini Cooper S R52 - 06
yiska
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Give Me a call Tomorrow on 086 8663828 and I will sort the details , the shop is EPT Tyres in Ballincollig and its next door to Our workshop ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help