Go to footer

Which speaker?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Which speaker?

Postby cod7 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi, I'm being forced to change my front speakers and was wondering what type should I go for. I've been told that component speakers are top notch but more expensive and that JBL are the way to go. Any advice would be much appreciated.
cod7
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Owen is your man for 'ice' ;)
Send him a pm maybe
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Re: Which speaker?

Postby cod7 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks. Also, I know it's the wrong topic, but my air temp sensor has read -40 ever since I bought my car, would love to get it fixed, would you know if it's a simple swap of out with the old and in with a new one?!
cod7
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Probably a faulty sensor. They are mounted behind the front bumper.
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Owen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:09 pm

You don't mention what car you're looking to install into.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby cod7 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Sorry, it's an R53 cooper s. I must post some pictures, have been looking on this forum for ages and never posted!
cod7
Just Joined!

Postby Owen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:18 am

With any of the early R5x models, R50/52/53, you're limited to 13 cm speakers in the front, and 6x9's in the rear. You can buy adapter pods to convert the front 13cm to 16.5cm which is the optimum size for fitting decent components in the doors. If you want those pods, BlueZed has a set for sale in our classifieds forum.

Brand wise, JBL are okay, but IMHO they're cleverly marketed to sound like JL who are audio market leaders, so you don't quiet get what you're expecting from them. In magazine reviews recently, two brands that surprised me by getting good reviews were Vibe, and Fusion. Personally, I've always used Alpines for speakers myself, their quality is superb and can take an unmerciful pounding.

To get the best result, I'd fit a headunit with a crossover in the car, let the head unit only send mid and high frequencies to the factory speaker locations, and I'd then fit a slimline subwooder under one of the seats to handle the low end.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help