Go to footer

is it hard to change auto to manual

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

is it hard to change auto to manual

Postby tintin » Fri May 11, 2012 10:17 am

hi is it hard to change mini auto gearbox to manual gearbox
tintin
Getting used to the place

Postby MiniMpi » Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 am

Far as I know you can't just put a manual gearbox onto the engine that had the auto box so you need a complete manual box and engine unit, then you have to change the pedal box inside. Fit all the hydraulic clutch parts etc etc etc.
Not easy by any means but doable.
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Re: is it hard to change auto to manual

Postby omimoc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I've never heard anyone doing this and I was led to beleive it was not possible to do.
omimoc
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Engine block is different internally , some oilways are not drilled in the auto block , if its 1.0 there are some manual units around in good condition for reasonable money .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby eamonn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Im on a similer mission myself . you will need a engine and gearbox a pedal box a gear selector you will need to bypass he wires from your current gear selector oterwise the car wont start itd be like trying to start it while left in a gear on the auto box (nothing happens) you need either a subframe or subframe adapter plates . It is a messy job but im hopping its worth doing .
eamonn
Getting used to the place

Postby TBi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 am

Just wondering... but wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to sell your mini and buy a manual? It will cost a lot to do the change and could reduce the value of the car when someone finds out so much work has been done to it.
TBi
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help