Go to footer

Chassi number mystery

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Chassi number mystery

Postby Amberk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

I was hoping someone could shed some light on a reoccuring and frustrating problem I'm having with the NCT
After many trials to get my car road worthy after being off road the NCT is the fianl step however they said it failed as a) they can't read the chassi number given due to partial paint obstruction and b) it doesn't look like any number they have seen before. I'm a first time car owner so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Amberk
Just Joined!

Re: Chassi number mystery

Postby irlmin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Ok , How old is your Mini ? are there some digits visible ? , I am assuming the number they are trying to read is on the scuttle panel in front of the windscreen drivers side in the 'u' shaped channel behind the bonnet . if so you have the option of getting some sandpaper ( around 600 grit ) and gently wet sanding the area where the number is stamped , this may reveal the number which should start with SAXX *********** usually a 17 number sequence the final 7 being the cars ID . it is also possible it may not be there at all as the scuttle panels have a tendency to rust and many will have been replaced and unless the body shop has number stamps they may have not have replaced the vin number . of course there may be some dubious history and the vin number has been removed to hide the cars true identity but I feel the replacement of the scuttle panel is most likely the cause . anyway have a look at the above items and if I can help further just ask , btw is the aluminium riveted vin plate in place on the r/h inner wing ? and does the number tally with the one on the reg doc ? if you like PM me the vin number from the plate / reg doc and I may be able to decode it .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help