Go to footer

R53 Mini - Rear Brake Caliper - Piston Dust Seal Install?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

R53 Mini - Rear Brake Caliper - Piston Dust Seal Install?

Postby dillonmr » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 am

I'll refran from the profanity but I'm trying to install new dust seals to the rear brake caliper pistons on my car and for the lift of me I cant get the new seal seated on the base of the caliper just keeps popping off.

Anyone have experience putting these on????...Ger, this is prob one for you, is there a BMW "special tool" or something that you need to bog these things on.

I'm fit to kill at this stage
dillonmr
Getting used to the place

Re: R53 Mini - Rear Brake Caliper - Piston Dust Seal Install?

Postby irlmin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

They can be tricky ..... but You know that already by now , You will need the std 'wind back' tool to wind the piston out , some calipers have the pistons just pressed in but the rear MINI ones have the piston screwed in and have some other components to work the handbrake , if you wind out the piston you can then lift away the seal by using a screwdriver carefully lifting the seal 'ring' away . be careful not to scratch the bore . reassemble using new seal and fit over piston and 'feed' the seal / ring down the sides of the piston carefully ( it can be done ) there is a special tool to fit the seal but we don't have or use it . we always fit new / recon calipers as we find its more cost effective labour wise . hope this helps but whatever way you tackle it it will be tricky .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: R53 Mini - Rear Brake Caliper - Piston Dust Seal Install?

Postby dillonmr » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm

cheers ger,

have a piston tool as do my own brake pads etc. figured out a good section of 2" bore tube over is the perfect "special tool" to ease the seal over the base at the caliper to seat it properly with that it ended up being a 2min job no hass
dillonmr
Getting used to the place

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help