Go to footer

Car Alarm?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Car Alarm?

Postby CB_Phil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Since I park her out front of the house I was thinking of getting an alarm fitted (herselfs Projero Jr got nicked from here a little over a year ago). Has anyone got one fitted or recommend a good one @ a decent price?
Any problems w/them? I know w/bikes they can cause trouble w/the electrics over heating & burning out.
Cheers in advance
Phil
CB_Phil
Just Joined!

Re: Car Alarm?

Postby irlmin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

You are correct that a poor alarm WILL always cause reliability problems , I would look to one of the good brands like Meta etc . I would also make sure it was fitted by a good alarm fitter as anyone can fit an alarm BUT not everyone can fit it correctly !! . minis usually have a decent imobilizer fitted standard and the ECU has a 'rolling ' code which is very difficult to crack without the key fob .but an aftermarket alarm will detect glass breakage , movement , voltage loss etc etc . of course make sure the keys are safe in the house as well as this is the way most are being stolen now . theft of Classic minis has reached epidemic proportions in parts of UK with the Police in Birmingham recently issuing a press release warning mini owners to take extra precautions after a rise in thefts . they even stole some restoration projects parked and not running . the problem is also affecting VW Campers .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Car Alarm?

Postby CB_Phil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Dont think mine has any fitted, its not a standard barrel, I have 3 separate keys (doors & boot, petrol cap & ignition) & ignition fob isnt anything special either. But then again, I dont know too much bout her, not even the exact model she is :1icon_redface: Trying to get info bout the Jap models, what they are, what they have ect & coming up blank
CB_Phil
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help