Go to footer

ABS, tyre pressure and traction control lights on.

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

ABS, tyre pressure and traction control lights on.

Postby cod7 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi,
I know that the ABS and traction lights coming on seem to be a regular problem and the computer said the front right sensor was broken, so we replaced the sensor and it didn't fix the problem. Had an auto electrician look at it and said all the wires were fine. The mechanic replaced the front bushings that needed doing anyway, (somehow passed the NCT though!) thinking that would solve the problem. Next up is the ABS unit. However, I've read that this is a costly part, and fitting takes a few hours. is there anything else that could be wrong before going down this road?

The other thing about the problem is that it's very intermittent. The lights were on for two days after replacing the bushes, and now I haven't seen them in 4 days driving!

Thanks, Ciarán.

Ps; saw a few of your cars at the Mondello track day, some nice cars, mine's a grey 03 Cooper S with aero kit.
cod7
Just Joined!

Re: ABS, tyre pressure and traction control lights on.

Postby irlmin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Its a regular problem , We usually have a few in every week with this problem , be careful of poor quality sensors , we have seen a few and now only use OE or Bosch replacements . as regards ABS units again there are several types depending on spec ie ABS , DSC , ASC and some can be sorted with new valve bodies some with control side of the unit and of course programing . usual cause of ABS unit valve body failure seems to be the lack of brake fluid changes , moisture builds up in fluid from heating / cooling during use and the water content rises and causes corrosion , we always recomend fluid changes at regular intervals determined by how 'hard' you are on the brakes . you may be lucky and the lights may stay away if not let Me know and we can advise further and if you need a new ABS unit / repair kit give me a shout .
Gerard
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: ABS, tyre pressure and traction control lights on.

Postby cod7 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:44 pm

That's some good advice. I didn't get an OEM sensor because of the price. I'll let you know how I get on in the next week! Thanks!
cod7
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help