Go to footer

Mini Cooper S R56 Timing Chain Defect

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Mini Cooper S R56 Timing Chain Defect

Postby sarahcunninn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:25 pm

3 weeks ago I had a major engine failure. Experienced the "Death Rattle" in my Mini Cooper S R56, no warning lights appeared but i slowed down and then experienced sudden engine failure. All controls seized and I nearly collided with an on-coming coach. My timing chain had snapped! A timing chain and its components are considered more durable than timing belts and timing chains are expected to last the life of an engine. The Automobile Association defines useful life of a light duty vehicle, such as the MINI Cooper S, as 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I have been quoted €4.5K for parts and repair from FK Mini.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what did they do?

Check out this US article: Is MINI Preparing a New Campaign for the Infamous Chain Tensioner?

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/05/31/ ... tensioner/

BMW Ireland should notify R56 customer (2007 - 2011) or else someone is going to be seriously injured as a result of sudden engine failure.
sarahcunninn
Just Joined!

Postby Derfinn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Sounds like you were lucky Sarah.

My last car, a 2009 R56S developed the cold start rattle, or death rattle, 6 mths into ownership. Another member here, Oliver, had the issue in his 2007 S.

I brought mine back to FK, and parts of timing chain etc was replaced. However, the rattle returned within a week when I was on a MINI run in Donegal. Car was brought back, and additional work was done, again under warranty. (I changed the car 2.5 yrs later, never had any other problems. But now drive diesel!)

I think Oliver had a new engine? You should look for his car thread under the Members Cars section. Did you ask FK for goodwill? It's a know problem, if your car is low mileage/just out of warranty, they may be able to help.
Derfinn
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Mini Cooper S R56 Timing Chain Defect

Postby AdyP » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Charles, a friend of mine had a 2008 JCW that developed the rattle, and it went in twice. I think the first time the chain was replaced but not the tensioner. On the second run in it had the lot swapped. Most of it was good will due to it being such low mileage.
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help