Go to footer

timing chain, or another problem?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

timing chain, or another problem?

Postby jordanfaf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:00 pm

I have a 2006 cooper S With 100k km on the clock.
I started up my car earlier and heard an almighty rattle coming from the engine bay. I pulled back into my driveway opened the bonet gave it a few revs and the noise persisted. I turned the engine off and back on and the noise was gone. All was running smooth

Sometimes I do notice the engine runs a but shuddery at idle, but it's mostly smooth. Is my timing chain on its way our or.is it something Els?
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Re: timing chain, or another problem?

Postby irlmin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:32 pm

Have you checked the oil level ? , might seem like a silly question but you would not believe how many people do not !! it could be the chain or a stuck tensioner , when was your last oil and filter change ? what oil and filter were used ? do NOT use the car until you ID the problem as R53 engine components are getting scarce especially Crankshafts which have unavailable for over a year from MINI ( latest delivery date is now August 2015 ) we are waiting for 2 to rebuild engines here in the workshop . give me a call if it helps and I may be able to advise probable causes .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jordanfaf » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:56 pm

irlmin wrote:Have you checked the oil level ? , might seem like a silly question but you would not believe how many people do not !! it could be the chain or a stuck tensioner , when was your last oil and filter change ? what oil and filter were used ? do NOT use the car until you ID the problem as R53 engine components are getting scarce especially Crankshafts which have unavailable for over a year from MINI ( latest delivery date is now August 2015 ) we are waiting for 2 to rebuild engines here in the workshop . give me a call if it helps and I may be able to advise probable causes .
G

Oil is regularly checked by me, but I have only had the car since Christmas so don't know history before then. The noise has only happened twice on start up and then stops after restarting. Oil service is due in 5000 km and I recently had a clutch change and mechanic mentioned nothing wrong. I'll pop back up to him during the week as he's more local than you are if that's what you recommend ? Thanks a mil
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby irlmin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:22 pm

check for possible tensioner sticking .make sure oil is a very good 05/30 full synthethic and low sapps product .also filter either OE MINI or Mahle /Knecht
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jordanfaf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:01 pm

irlmin wrote:check for possible tensioner sticking .make sure oil is a very good 05/30 full synthethic and low sapps product .also filter either OE MINI or Mahle /Knecht
G

Just back from my mechanic. He thinks from what I'm describing it's a timing chain. He checked the oil, tole me to keep a close eye on it and he's gonna get a quote for a new chain sooner rather than later. So hopefully it won't Break the bank :1icon_cry: how much would you charge for the job, just as a guide to what he gives?
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby lfc200 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi Ger,

Think I have much the same problem after starting with my Cooper S...
Think it's the timing chain tensioner but could be completely wrong! Off hand do you know rough repair cost and would you have the parts in stock if I was to drop the car into ye during the week?
lfc200
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Pop in and we will have a listen , might not be chain , lots of other moving bits to check first .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby lfc200 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:39 pm

No problem Ger...

If I'm at work will probably be my girlfriend who'll bring it out to you... Would Wednesday morning suit?

Thanks
John
lfc200
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:50 pm

No problem John .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jordanfaf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:28 am

lfc200 wrote:No problem Ger...

If I'm at work will probably be my girlfriend who'll bring it out to you... Would Wednesday morning suit?

Thanks
John

Lemme know what quote you get and if it was the tensioner or a whole chain. I'm almost certain it's my tensioner after doing some research. I believe this isn't nearly as big a job as if it were my whole chain. I'm just after sinking a huge amount into a new clutch so hopefully it's a quick fix
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby irlmin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:34 am

The tensioner is only a quick fix and We certainly would not replace it alone if the chain is worn , and it will be if the tensioner has failed , its Tensioner , chain and guide rails or nothing !! the consequences of not doing this job correctly are very serious as failure will involve valve / piston contact and you don't want that :1icon_cry: take it from Me . not sure what you spent on your clutch replacement but it will pale into insignificance if the chain slips . give Me a call if I can help or advise
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby lfc200 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:15 am

jordanfaf wrote:
Lemme know what quote you get and if it was the tensioner or a whole chain. I'm almost certain it's my tensioner after doing some research. I believe this isn't nearly as big a job as if it were my whole chain. I'm just after sinking a huge amount into a new clutch so hopefully it's a quick fix

Mine ended up being a false alarm and nothing to do with the chain or tensioner!
lfc200
Just Joined!

Postby jordanfaf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:22 pm

irlmin wrote:The tensioner is only a quick fix and We certainly would not replace it alone if the chain is worn , and it will be if the tensioner has failed , its Tensioner , chain and guide rails or nothing !! the consequences of not doing this job correctly are very serious as failure will involve valve / piston contact and you don't want that :1icon_cry: take it from Me . not sure what you spent on your clutch replacement but it will pale into insignificance if the chain slips . give Me a call if I can help or advise
G

Ok so my mechanic was away the last week so finally got to chat with him on the phone. Based on the fact that the clattering only happens very occasionally on startup he does not think it's the timing chain. I'm gonna bring it up during the week to have him looks again.

While I'm on here may aswell ask if you think the rough idle I have is a related problem or if it's (what I think) the sparkplugs. They were last changed in 2013 (25k kilometers ago) by the previous owner. Is this the cause of shuddery idle or is it and other problem?
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby jordanfaf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Mini cooper s rattle: http://youtu.be/mUI-q6QlUEM

There is a video of the noise
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Can't see the video as it says it is Private.

At a quick guess I would be putting money on the rough idle being excessive carbon build up.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help