Go to footer

timing chain, or another problem?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Re: timing chain, or another problem?

Postby jordanfaf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:51 pm

MiniMpi wrote:Can't see the video as it says it is Private.

At a quick guess I would be putting money on the rough idle being excessive carbon build up.

Sorry, here is the video again Cooper s rattle: http://youtu.be/M33gFbqIU58

As for carbon build up, any way to tell for sure without dismantling the engine? I'm due an oil service in 4000 km if thers any way a mini mechanic could check while its in for that?
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:31 pm

I can view the video now Thanks.
Sounds like the tensioner at least if not the chain too from that.
Apologies regarding the carbon build up comment - I didn't realize it was an R53 you had !
The carbon build up normally only effects the R56.
So my guess regarding the rough idle would be possibly the plugs need changing or the coil pack has a rusted contact, which is very popular and/or one of the spark plug lead contacts is also rusted up.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby buntermeal » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:51 am

Hi, I have a MCS R56 08 with 70k km on the clock. I recently picked it up and when the car developed a rattle on start up I brought it to Keary's. 2.5 lts of fully synthetic oil later and the problem seemed solved. I never checked the oil level as the seller had topped up fluids when I picked it up. 300km later and the rattle came back this morning on start up, albeit for only a few seconds. Keary's said there was no faults when connected to the diagnostic so could it have gone through most of that oil in that space of time? I will check oil later this morning when the engine is cold. Like the above posts I had assumed it was the tensioner as the rattle would go away when the engine had heated up. Might bring it out to O'Learys as Keary's are a rip off.
buntermeal
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Firstly, Welcome to the forum ;)

They do take oil and you need to check it regularly as a rule.
I would highly advise a trip to O'Leary's for a 'proper' check as if the chain is worn it could potentially jump a tooth and cause serious damage to the engine.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby buntermeal » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks, I'll give them a shout. Do they open Saturdays?
buntermeal
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi ,
Sorry but we don't usually do Saturdays , we are open 8am to 5 pm Monday to Friday , give Me a call on 086 8663828 if I can help .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jordanfaf » Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Eventually got around to having mine looked at. It hadn't rattled in a while but did quite loudly the other morning. Flew up to the mechanic. He confirmed it was a tensioner sticking and said he would replace the tensioner and chain for 750. (Good price I believe)

As for the idle I've been using Texaco fuel as I was told it has an additive to clean the engin. 2-3 tanks on it and to be honest it seems to have helped the rough idlE! (Might be in my head tho) I'm gonna bring it in for a full service while the chain is being done just to keep thing tip top. Thanks for all the help!
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby AdyP » Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 am

I don't think the R53 was direct injection Ferg, shouldn't suffer from carbon buildup.
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Tue May 05, 2015 5:07 pm

AdyP wrote:I don't think the R53 was direct injection Ferg, shouldn't suffer from carbon buildup.

I only realised after I posted that the OP had an R53 ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby jordanfaf » Wed May 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi all, cars back from its service now. plugs, coils and oils changed and the cars no longer shuddering (mostly). I get the odd surge but my mechanic said its normal in a cooper s to get an odd one.

He looked at the chain and it was perfect, and because the tensioner wasn't sticking with the 3 days he had it he didn't change it. I was told if I do hear the noise leave it idle until it unsticks. So happy out now she's running like a dream
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help