Go to footer

Engine movement in classic mini

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Engine movement in classic mini

Postby neilmacaogain » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 am

Hi all

I'm new to Mini's and was wondering if any of the more experienced members could shed some light on a problem I'm facing. I have a 1996 Rover Mini Sidewalk and over the past while I've been getting a lot of movement in the engine housing. Today on the drive home from work it was especially bad. The problem is more apparent when I first start up the car and when it's driven in low gears - almost like a 'clonking' when changing gears . See quick video here of movement when revving (warning, loud!) (https://youtu.be/FCrlubw8_bE) . I've had a look under the bonnet and can see one spot where I think there may be an issue - it looks like a gasket is missing or the shaft has fallen out of place (see pics http://imgur.com/a/zS8tq. Apart from that, I'm not sure :l . I've only had the car since the end of May and I've already had to have work done by O'Leary's in Ballincollig (who have been great) on the radiator and the exhaust. Just wondering if this is a quick fix or if it will need a proper look.

Would appreciate any insight into this.
Cheers,
Neil
1996 Rover Mini Sidewalk
neilmacaogain
Just Joined!

Re: Engine movement in classic mini

Postby irlmin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi Neil ,
It sounds like the stabiliser bush on the other side of the engine is in trouble , the one in the photos is as far as I remember redundant and was missing some of its constituent parts . have a look on the engine block just over the clutch housing and under the brake servo on the 'drivers' side of the engine and you may see some very worn bushes , We normally stock them if you need them .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Engine movement in classic mini

Postby neilmacaogain » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks Ger! I'll call down to you tomorrow evening.
1996 Rover Mini Sidewalk
neilmacaogain
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help