Go to footer

Resonator Delete

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Resonator Delete

Postby jordanfaf » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Thinking of getting the resonator taken out as i want things a bit louder and poppy. ive seen on other forums that resonator delete is the best way forward without going obnoxiously loud. Just wondering if anyone on here has had it done before or heard a res delete R53 and if there is any negatives before i give souhans a call.
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Re: Resonator Delete

Postby irlmin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 am

I would urge caution , there is a reason its there , We have found that the best is to fit a JCW exhaust system , lots of aftermarket stuff on the market and most of it is rubbish and will cause damage , also there is a certain UK based MINI Related website full of the most dangerous advice I have ever seen much of which if followed will ensure a quick demise of your engine . , if you want a nice reliable R53 with a decent bit extra go I would recommend, a 15% pulley , modified airbox , Janspeed Manifold with sport cat , JCW rear boxes , JCW intercooler ,and a decent remap to suit all of above , if you don't want to do it all together that's no problem I would start with Pulley , airbox and remap , removing the resonator will cost you power and torque , sure it will sound great but at what cost ?
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jordanfaf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:00 am

Thanks ger. Planning on getting a reduced pulley for christmas. Cant really afford a new jcw system. I was in contact with souhans garage in trim who said the can do something along the lines of this https://youtu.be/8uVQw6Bmn5E for very cheap. Ive watched plenty of videos and trawled other sites for info and all seem to be saying is a great cost effective method. Would doing (whats in the video) cause damage to the car, or is it relativly safe as other sites say? Thanks agan
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:50 pm

You run the risk of damaging the baffles in the rear exhaust boxes when you remove the resonator.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help