Go to footer

R53 key dead battery

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

R53 key dead battery

Postby jordanfaf » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:59 pm

Pretty sure the battery in my r53 key is dead. It wont lock or unlock the car anymore. Other forums say it recharges in the ignition but i do a lot of driving and it dosnt seem to be recharging.

Mini want 120€ for the key and another 40 or so to program it. Just did a bit of research and ive got mixed feedback. Some people claim i can pry the key open and change the battery myself. I have the correct Cr2032 battery. Just wondering if im gonna break they key by changing it myself or if itll be ok
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Re: R53 key dead battery

Postby irlmin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 am

Have you checked the key is sending a 'signal' ? most garages should have a simple tool to check this , it may be that the key has lost 'sync' with the car , do you have a spare key ? does this work ? the post July 04 facelift MINI key is indeed charged from the car while being used and the key itself is 'sealed' . check the above items and see where that takes you .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: R53 key dead battery

Postby jordanfaf » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:19 am

irlmin wrote:Have you checked the key is sending a 'signal' ? most garages should have a simple tool to check this , it may be that the key has lost 'sync' with the car , do you have a spare key ? does this work ? the post July 04 facelift MINI key is indeed charged from the car while being used and the key itself is 'sealed' . check the above items and see where that takes you .
G

Pretty sure its a battery problem. The car will remole lock after a while of driving. But the next morning it wont unlock remotely. I assume the battery just isnt holding its charge anymore. I did the procedure to reconnect/ resync the key and that didnt help.

My brothers working in murphy and gunn bmw so fingers crossed he can sort a mini key at cost price if needs be
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help