Go to footer

Classic battery troubles

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Classic battery troubles

Postby neilmacaogain » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:00 am

Hi All,

Have ran into a bit of trouble with the mini. I left the lights on like an eegit and the battery went dead. I tried to jump start off another car but had no luck. When I turned the key while the car was stationary, there is no sound whatsoever. When I got a push-start, I got a bit of chugging from the car each time, but then it died again.

I bought a new battery today thinking the old one had just bitten the dust, but it's the same story with this one. Any idea on what it might be?

Cheers,
Neil
1996 Rover Mini Sidewalk
neilmacaogain
Just Joined!

Re: Classic battery troubles

Postby irlmin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:48 pm

I would check the battery 'earth' strap which is bolted to the boot floor from the 'neg' battery terminal , if this is ok check the alternator belt for tightness as there is a big load at this time of year and you will have belt slipping and not enough charge to cover lights , wipers , heater fan , etc etc and as a result battery will go flat .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Classic battery troubles

Postby GHOST » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:55 pm

...my battery looked fine but,, sure enough, on closer inspection th neg. lead was damaged and when i replaced it she would start on th button.
:evil7:
GHOST
Getting used to the place

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help