Go to footer

mini stalls when clutching

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

mini stalls when clutching

Postby Keithcollinscork » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:29 pm

hi again guys

just wondering if any of you have ideas on this, I have a mini one 1.4l petrol 07, the last few mornings as I have been coming up to a stop the engine cuts out when I press the clutch (no problems the first few times clutching i.e. changing from reverse to first and the first traffic lights I get to about 50m from my gate), not a standard stall just straight to 0 revs, I can control it if I get the clutch back to the bite before it cuts completely (very rough if I do this though goes from 500rpm to nearly 2000 rpm at times for a second), it starts no problems but will cut again unless I am moving, this only happens in the mornings, will usually drive fine for the rest of the day, as you know the mornings recently haven't been particularly cold or anything, according to the interwebs it could be anything from idle valve to VAMOS (i think thats correct) or even HPFP, anyone ever heard of this or have an idea what I'm looking at? all help much appreciated.
Keithcollinscork
Just Joined!

Re: mini stalls when clutching

Postby Keithcollinscork » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:54 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned that there are no lights coming on, so probably no codes being recorded either
Keithcollinscork
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Has the MINI been serviced correctly recently ? is the oil level ok ? . it could be one of a number of things and will have held a code if it is read with the correct diagnostic equipment . what mileage is on the MINI ? has the timing chain been replaced ? lots of questions I know but all relevant . can I assume the MINI starts ok 1st time but idles poorly when cold , is idle and stable ok when hot ? as I said it is not an unusual problem but it can have a few solutions .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Keithcollinscork » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Just after buying it, had oil and filter service recently before purchase, oil level is good and oil looks good, ( not black), was told by the seller that the timing chain had been done but I'm not sure, as for milage it's @ 164k km, it actually idles well most of the time, eg this morning no problems even though it's colder and wetter than previous mornings, it's not particularly jumpy when idling normally just when I have to try and keep it on the bite point during traffic, also it can happen when the tank is full or getting below halfway, honestly I need to get it in to ye anyway just been up the walls at work and can't get the time off to bring it in until next week at the earliest, will try nd book in soon though so I'll give ye a calk
Keithcollinscork
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help