Go to footer

Goonery and Pappi do Ireland

Our forum for planning and announcing events - plenty of info here on finished events too. Keep an eye on this forum so you can have a great outing in your Mini with the rest of the Club!

Moderator: MiniMpi

Goonery and Pappi do Ireland

Postby goonery » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Yes folks, we're all USA'd out and what with the financial situation and an overdue visit to my mum our big trip this year is ..... IRELAND

We arrive with a MINI on Friday 21st August at Rosslare, head down to Youghal for a couple of days to stay with my Mum, and then we go touring. :)

So what we'd like is some insider information from you lovely people, something like a circular route that takes in some of the best bits you can muster.

Cork would be the logical starting point as we want to see the City in daylight especially the English Market for provisions, and then clockwise around to end up back in Rosslare on the 3rd of September for a 21:00 departure.

We have a Tom Tom with all the maps, but from my last experience I found myself driving a rental Hiyundi Getz across what appeared to be open farmland at 2 in the morning after a delayed flight detours and the Cork tunnel road being closed.

Look forward to any ideas and information you can let us have and of course making and renewing old acquaintances.

All the best

Stu and Angelina
goonery
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi Guys ,
Just saw this having replied to the post re MINI2 , good news to see you are popping over again , yea We can help with some decent territory and routes , in fact I have some very interesting and scenic routes .I will put something together for you and get it over , are you going to MINI United ? We have been allocated one of the Club stands in the Club Village so We can chat there .BTW if you want to hire a MINI we have a Club deal with Thrifty Car rental at the Airport .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby goonery » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks Gererd, MINI Utd is work for me, but we'll be around Silverstone and the Factory over the weekend.

I'll have company wheels :1icon_cool: , but thanks for the heads up on that, I'll use Thrifty if I fly over next time.
goonery
Just Joined!

Postby AndySimpson » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Sat 29th & Sun 30th August is the big Mini/MINI run & show in Portrush, on the North Coast.

If you plan to make your way up that far you should enjoy it, 400+ Mini/MINIs :)
AndySimpson
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Rakey » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 am

You have to do Healy Pass ;)
[img:1]http://www.totalmini.com/forum/members/rakey-albums-signatures-picture1245-sigpic8969-4.jpg[/img]
Rakey
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:04 am

I agree with you there Rakey, Healy Pass is a must ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Owen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 am

I did it again yesterday, can't recommend that road highly enough.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby goonery » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:57 am

Where is it ?, I've found some video footage on You Tube of one in Co Cork and one in Co Kerry, looking at the maps it looks like its shared and joins both. Pretty stunning drive. More like this please :1icon_cool:

There is also one in Banff Canada apparently
goonery
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 am

It's in Kerry, joins into Kenmare ;)
The Irish 'Stelvio' :)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Gordon Bennett !!

Postby goonery » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 am

I found this, is it worth a detour. I quite fancy having a go if theres time.

[img:896:1167]http://www.gordonbennettroute.com/bennettimage.gif[/img]

Just for fun we'll do the route and post up a 'time' from start to finish. Keeping to speed limits of course. Then if any of you lot have a spare afternoon and are in the area you can try to beat it. lol
Last edited by goonery on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
goonery
Just Joined!

Re: Gordon Bennett !!

Postby Derfinn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:14 pm

It's been years since I've driven it, but the road between Carlow and Portlaoise is pretty cool, though it really won't take you too long to drive it.

You're just getting into it when it's all over!
Derfinn

Postby goonery » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:52 pm

Only a few days now before we arrive. :)

hope you guys have got the weather sorted

We'll be tooling around South East and West for the first few days, then heading north West uo the coast before returning to Cork area for the last 3 or 4 days via various attractions and places to see.
goonery
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Weather was brilliant here Today , lots of serious roads to travel in the West , you have a PM Stu ,
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Bawnee » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:07 am

Hi travellers,

If in Kilkenny, go to Inistiogue, go up the hill there, and into Inistiogue Walled Gardens, tea house also there (beware €4 charge to exit carpark) then from there onto Thomastown heading towards New Ross, just outside village of Thomastown, you will see a sign for Graiguenamanagh, take this road, its a hidden gem! Spectacular. From Graiguenamanagh, go over a humpback bridge, take a right, then drive to St. Mullins, then to New Ross, then Mount Leinster (Some spectacular views from here) ,then onto Hook Head. Hook Head is the oldest lighthouse in Europe, take the tour, have a cuppa there.

From Hook head take the Ferry to Passage East, then drive to top of hill, straight off Ferry, stay left, this will bring you to Tramore, then take the coast road out of Tramore, to Bunmahon, etc. This will bring you to Kilmeaden, and onto Cork!

Any queries just mail me! Enjoy!

Sorry i couldn't post earlier, technical difficulties!
All the best and enjoy the Sunny South East.
Bawnee

Return to Board index

Return to Club Events