Go to footer

Historic rally of the Lakes Mini run

Our forum for planning and announcing events - plenty of info here on finished events too. Keep an eye on this forum so you can have a great outing in your Mini with the rest of the Club!

Moderator: MiniMpi

Historic rally of the Lakes Mini run

Postby irlmin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:46 pm

The Killarney Motor Club have invited the MCOI to take part in a very special event taking place on Saturday Dec 5th 2009 , to celebrate the 50th birthday of the mini , the event is a non competitive run over some of the very famous rally stages from the Circuit of Ireland rally particularly those used in the mid 60s when the mini dominated rallying , the organisers have invited ANY mini or MINI from 1959 to 2009 to join them for this unique event , below are full details and I would recommend everyone to make this one a 'must do' event , watch this space for further details ;
OFFICIAL DETAILS OF EVENT RECEIVED FROM THE ORGANISIER

This being the 50th anniversary of the mini car ,a fun run is taking place on SAT.5th of December from The Brooklane Hotel Kenmare .Competitors do not need a competition licence to take part as there is no speed involved and the competitors own insurance is all that is necessary to compete.Minis of all ages right up to 2009 will be accepted and any derivatives of the mini such as mini marcos or mini jem will be very welcome.The event is being run in conjunction with the Historic Rally Of The Lakes which has the same head quarters and is on the same weekend.

A road book has been checked and the route is finalized .All directions will be given as tulips and the distances are accurate but you do not need a tripmeter as the route is not complex.The event will follow broadly the route of the early Circuits Of Ireland in the west Cork-south Kerry area.Some ex-works minis from the 60s will attend including minis from northern Ireland (mini),some from England and a number of well known Irish entries as well.The Kenmare Bay Hotel , directly across the road from the h-q are doing a special deal for food and accom.

The only cost involved in your participation is for the road book as the Killarney Motor Club has covered all the other expenses including permits etc,.To sign on for the event you need your insurance -or current disc and a token fee of 15 euro.Telephone enquiries to 086-8696422 any time

The route for the mini run is finalized and includes CLASSIC stages such as Borlin,Fuhiry, Kilmacallogue ,Healy Pass, Cod's Head and Ardgroom.The route is approx 150 miles in total and also includes a few narrow link roads between "stages".The timing is based on the rule of 25 miles per hour including the main road sections but a competitor does not have to average any particular speed and there are no penalties for stopping for a smoke or a p---- or to eat a bite.At 25mph , the route should take 6 hours but you must allow time for food and other stops.If the last car starts at 10 a.m. ,it should be back in Kenmare at 4.45 p.m.Sign on is from 9a.m. and cars will run at minute intervals.We want 50 minis for the 50th anniversary of the launch of the "mini- minor".The event will get press coverage and the mini magazines will have a report.
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby leyland » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:58 pm

This is a once off event and one not to be missed. Have we decided on a meeting place and time for the trip down to Kenmare?

Leyland
Yes we can.
leyland
MCOI Founding Member

Postby bomber01 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Yes got to be there.. it will be another day to remember lol
Can't wait.

j
bomber01
Club Treasurer

Postby irlmin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:26 pm

We are leaving the Apple Green petrol station in Classes Ballincollig at 8am sharp , remember check in in Kenmare is at 9am , see everyone there .
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby irlmin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Just home from Kenmare , what an event !! brilliant organisation from Bob and his crew , the weather threw up every kind of hazard imaginable , the roads were varied and interesting especially DOWN the Healy Pass !!!! lol lol . brilliant to see a huge turnout of Minis and MINIs and even though the weather was terrible everyone enjoyed the challenge . thanks again to everyone involved and what a fitting end to Mini's 50th birthday year .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby leyland » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Have to agree Ger, A great way to finish the 50th birthday year and fair play to Bob and crew for a brilliant event. The poor weather really made it challenging, especially for the older cars and their drivers. The organising was first class and great value especially as we only had to turn up and take part. From a driving point of view it was exciting and the Kerry and Cork classic stages never disappoint.

Brilliant event.

Leyland
Yes we can.
leyland
MCOI Founding Member

Postby irlmin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:01 pm

I have to admit There were times I wished I had brought the RSP yesterday especially through the Gougane Barra woods !!!!! and some of the stages like Cods head , it brought back memories of doing the Rally of the Lakes several years in a row in a Mini and a Rallye 1 Simca , that was a tough event back then and always one of the best organised of the year , one particular one I remember the weather was just like yesterday and many of the stages were in darkness -- that was a particularly tough one .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Historic rally of the Lakes Mini run

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:04 am

This was just AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
Biblical conditions........... :1icon_eek: but stone MAD!!! hahahaha
Really stunning stages, LOVED Cods Heads stage as last time on it was flat out in the Killarney Historic Rally back in 2001 i think!!! :1icon_cool:
WELL DONE to the organisers - Killarney Motor Club for an outstanding job!!
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby bomber01 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Well from Start to Finish what a weekend I thoroughly enjoyed it, the stages brought back many memories of my Rally days as it also did for Ger and Fergal, so much so that the mind started to wander!!! ( dangerous)!! .
It was nice to have been invited to this well organised super event and just sit in drive these lovely stages at your own pace >?, you soon forget about the bad head cold you have , and even the weather outside.
Yes a Big thank to Bob. Kelly. of the Skibbereen Motor Club, and the all at the Killarney Motor Club. and all involved in the organisation of the Run , and the nice trophy for those who finnished. lol . I saw some nice photos of our Club Cars taken by a Spectator he will forward them on to me and when we have our new site up and running I will load them up.
And guess what won the Rally ??? yes a Mini…., enjoyed a couple of stages of the Main Rally on Sun , I couldn’t miss it.. :blob3: :blob9: :blob8: :blob7: :blob10:
[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc67/lancasterj/IMG_2173.jpg[/IMG]
bomber01
Club Treasurer

Postby Sparkie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:03 am

Yes, my thanks to the organisers for such a great event ! Had a great weekend out there on the roads, great banter with the rest of the drivers too, really nice to see other classics on the run too.

Weather wasn't the best, but it is the start of December !!

Pics to follow :1icon_cool:
[img]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/Markies_pics/SR022606-1.jpg[/img]
Sparkie
I posted the 11111th Post!

Postby bomber01 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 am

some pics of the event.
bomber01
Club Treasurer

Re:

Postby bomber01 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 pm

leyland wrote:Have to agree Ger, A great way to finish the 50th birthday year and fair play to Bob and crew for a brilliant event. The poor weather really made it challenging, especially for the older cars and their drivers. The organising was first class and great value especially as we only had to turn up and take part. From a driving point of view it was exciting and the Kerry and Cork classic stages never disappoint.

Brilliant event.

Leyland

Richard presenting Bob. Kelly. with a 50th Mini MUG.

J
bomber01
Club Treasurer

Postby inny1300 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 pm

just looking at the photo's,they look fantastic nice one ,regards jon :1icon_twisted:
inny1300
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Sparkie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Agreed, it was a cracking weekend !! Great roads for the classics, which reminds me... I Must get a mini under my arse sooooooonnnn !!! :)
[img]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/Markies_pics/SR022606-1.jpg[/img]
Sparkie
I posted the 11111th Post!

Postby leyland » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 am

Sparkie,
It will be great to see you back at the wheel again.

Best of luck with the hunting

Regards
Leyland
Yes we can.
leyland
MCOI Founding Member

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Club Events