Go to footer

There's a whole new site coming

Use this forum to ask questions about the site itself.

Moderator: MiniMpi

There's a whole new site coming

Postby Owen » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Yes indeedy. You may have notice updates on the front page haven't been so forthcoming recently, and that's because I've been working in conjunction with Ger and Si on setting up a whole new site for the MCOI. This is no small task, so it's going to be another month before it's done.

So what's going to be new in the new site? Well, at the moment we're running a software platform called Phpnuke, which is fine, but it's very hard to make additions to it, and it's a bit buggy as most of you know. Google doesn't like it much either, so our forum doesn't come up too high in general searches. It also makes life very tough to update the site - did you know it takes me on average 30 minutes to do a front page article?

So, what we're going to do is step up to the plate and dump the forum integrated with the content management on the front page. We're going to rebuild the site from the ground up with a whole new forum based on phpbb3 - the latest and greatest forum software. We're going to replace the front page with a blog that you'll be able to follow through RSS feeds, and comment on. We're going to have our facebook page linked in, and we're going to be #1 on Google searches bar none.

What cool new features will the new forum have? Well, everything you have here at the moment, smilies, youtube vids, signatures, but you'll have the option to befriend people, create bookmarks of your favourite threads, compose and save drafts so you can half type a post - find the rest of the information and finish it later, and as users, you'll have the option to report any dodgy posts from people signing up just to advertise, etc, and the mods will be notified to take care of it.

The forum is going to look much more modern and sleek, and I think everyone will adjust to the new layout quickly. It will require us to boot everyone out of miniclub.ie for a few days, but we'll give you all plenty of warning.

Bear in mind it will also have the potential to mess up some peoples passwords, if it does yours, you will be able to just request password from the system, or get in touch with me directly to sort it out.

We'll keep you updated as the weeks go by.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby inny1300 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:35 am

Hello Owen that sounds a great bit of news,and linking facebook will be a great addition to the site as most people can be found on there,and it is good to get the bogus people of the site,and fake post's,good luck and I look forward to the new site ,regards jon :1icon_cool:
inny1300
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Outstanding news Owen!!! Well done in advance to yourself and Si for the mega work involved!! :king:
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Bawnee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:41 pm

Well well, I look forward to seeing the Transformation! :) Thanks in advance! It sounds challenging at the least but well worth it. :wav:
Bawnee

Postby oliver » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:41 pm

Great news. Keep up the good work.
oliver

Re: There's a whole new site coming

Postby Owen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Okay guys,

After 2 completely sleepness nights (Literally) - the new forum is where it should be, and where'll it'll stay from now on. Some things you should be aware of :

Your Avatars and Sigs may be borked
To debork them, you can either ask the Swedish Chef - bork bork bork - or you can go into your fancy new control panel and reset them manually. You can add in all your friends while you're there too.

AutoImage resizing isn't working yet.
So, any images which were uploaded in the past using these tags will be screwed up until we restore it, or a similar version. Please resize any images you're currently uploading to a maximum of 500 pixels wide manually.

Youtube linking isn't working yet.
So, just like the images, the youtube videos aren't quite working yet - we're on it.

The front page is now gone.
It sure is! It's been the bane of my life trying to update that dinosaur, but there's a whole new feature rich blog coming in the next week or so. Plenty more work in that for me, but I'm getting there too.

We're going to get stricter on signature rules
Because this is a new site, we owe it to ourselves as users to have proper signatures. In the past we've had people posting photos of their cars as sig images, that's not what a sig is for. The new signature limit is 500x100 pixels, as it should be. The previous large images were confusing the heck out of new uers who couldn't figure out if they were looking at a part of the thread, or someone's sig. If you have an issue in cropping your images, or resizing them, check google for how to create a sig image - they're not tough :)

Thanks again, and I'll update you all as I know more.
Owen

Postby Derfinn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:48 pm

Good luck with all the work Owen!

I'm sure that the new site will only be fantastic looking! :thumbup:
Derfinn

Postby madbrummie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:59 pm

top job Yoda...
madbrummie

Postby Sparkie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Lookin good guys :1icon_cool:
[img]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/Markies_pics/SR022606-1.jpg[/img]
Sparkie
I posted the 11111th Post!

Postby inny1300 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 pm

looking very very cool,nice one regards jon :1icon_twisted: :blob8: :blob6:
inny1300

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:52 am

Top job Owen!!! :king:
Sorted my sig etc today.
Site looks very cool
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Owen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks Ferg, and well done on the sig. Yours is a perfect example of how a sig should look.
Owen

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Owen wrote:Thanks Ferg, and well done on the sig. Yours is a perfect example of how a sig should look.

Sure i'm a legend sure!!!! lol

It is very easy to do.
If you have a photo on photobucket, just click edit, then Crop, and make your photo 500 x 100, Job done ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Owen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:11 pm

The youtube videos are back now. Just hit the youtube button in the reply/new post function, and paste the address for the youtube video in. The only thing is that any posts with youtube in them already will need to be edited, and resubmitted for them to work, but anything going forward will be fine.
Owen

Postby Owen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:25 pm

The front page blog is starting to take shape, and it now supports the ability to publish articles you like to Facebook/Twitter/Del.icio.us/Digg/Technorati, or eMail it directly from your Yahoo/GMail account. Not bad eh?
Owen

Return to Board index

Return to Site Discussion, Launches & Feedback