Go to footer

Site cookies

Use this forum to ask questions about the site itself.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Site cookies

Postby Owen » Mon May 28, 2012 11:37 am

There's an upcoming law in the UK which is making all sites report what their cookies do and how they track their end users. As the Irish Government has no imagination or spark of uniqueness, it's inevitable that the law will make it here too. So I want to very quickly explain how cookies work, and what we use them for.

When you log in to any website, a cookie is created and stored on your computer. The cookie basically then is referenced every time you visit this site, and has a few functions. If you clicked the 'keep me logged in box', the cookie will know this and that's why each time you visit the site, you don't have to enter your password, however the cookie doesn't store your password, so no need to worry there. The cookie also knows the time and date of your last visit, so the site uses it's database to show you which threads are new and have been replied to since your last visit. It's a pretty great system.

Some naughty sites use their cookies to do some pretty nasty stuff, check the sites you're coming from, and going to, and in some cases even using cookies as malware/spyware for tracking purposes. I want to make it very clear that we do nothing of the sort, and our cookies only serve the above two purposes.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Re: Site cookies

Postby irlmin » Mon May 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Michael brought a big tin of 'cookies' to the run yesterday and guess what ? we at them all !! :1icon_eek: :) :1icon_blackeye:
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Site cookies

Postby Masterbiker » Wed May 30, 2012 12:30 pm

I should have charged money for them :P
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Return to Board index

Return to Site Discussion, Launches & Feedback