Go to footer

How long has CD got left??

All off-topic stuff goes here, movies you've seen, motorbike chat, restaurant recommendations, jokes, etc.

Moderator: MiniMpi

How long has CD got left??

Postby MiniMpi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:23 pm

As most people are now using some form of Mp3 player be it iPod etc.....how long will it be before the 'CD' bites the dust?
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Bawnee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Depends on the Cd quality, there are Archival ones that can last 100 years, as if you can wait around to prove them wrong?! Lol
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: How long has CD got left??

Postby langdang » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 pm

I think Parrot have brought out a head unit with no CD slot, hard drive + usb +aux in I think.
Very rarely play off CD's now, I've a tiny usb key that will even fit into the case when i remove the face off the head unit...
langdang
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Bawnee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 pm

It's all progress eh, wow re the parrott system!
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby langdang » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:16 pm

My mistake, no hard drive, sounds like an inbuilt "memory stick" somewhere.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedi ... ad-Unit/p1
langdang
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Owen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:15 pm

The head unit I fitted to my R53 3 years ago had no CD player either. Just an iPod interface. I can't remember the last time I actually went into HMV/Virgin and bought a CD. What's the point? Get stuck in traffic, pay for parking, walk through the store trying to find what you want, and if, IF it's there, queue at the Cashier, pay far too much, and then have to drive home again. Then you have to rip it to your PC, and squirt it onto your Mp3 player.

The alternative is so much easier. Search for the music you want, buy it, download it. The issue with CD is it's capacity, and fragility. CDs have been proven to be affected by age, and some of the major labels discs are now starting to degrade internally. Once that data has been corrupted, it can't be recovered. Not to mention the hassles of having to have a cabinet stocked with CDs, and trying to decide which 6 to bring in the car.

Technology adoption is the reason we're still using CDs. Its the reason we're still using DVDs and not Blu-Ray. Its the reason we still go to Xtravision to rent DVDs, and don't have them streamed to our house over the net. Flash memory prices are tumbling. You can get 128 Gig pendrives now for around 200 Euro, and it won't be long before they're down to 50 Euro. That's the storage capacity of an entire iPod, in your wallet. Once that happens, if the record stores are clever and want to compete and keep their bricks and mortar stores, they'll put in kiosks where you can download albums & artwork for the albums onto your pendrive and swipe your laser card to pay for them. If they don't, they'll go the way of the dinosaur.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Off Topic Forum