Go to footer

New Speed limit in cork !!!!

All off-topic stuff goes here, movies you've seen, motorbike chat, restaurant recommendations, jokes, etc.

Moderator: MiniMpi

New Speed limit in cork !!!!

Postby minidragon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:58 am

With the introduction of the new 30km speed limit in cork, I am now taking bets on how many people in lyicra (aka Beardy with the Bike)Hwill have there heads stuck under buses by the weekend on the plus side our lovely cars will be less damaged in the unlikely event that we do help with the untimely death of beardy on the Bike. :) :) :)
Sinead's rant of the day is now finished.
Minidragon
sinead
minidragon
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: New Speed limit in cork !!!!

Postby Masterbiker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:14 pm

I wouldn't have known about this unless I had heard about it on the radio this morning. I don't think I have seen any signs about it. Is it for the whole of the city or just in the very middle of the city centre?
Masterbiker

Postby Masterbiker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Note to self, google things before I post. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1116/cork.html
The revised speed limit will apply to Patrick Street, Grand Parade, Oliver Plunkett Street, North Main Street and Cornmarket Street, as well as to a number of adjacent streets.

Cork City Council says several million euro has been spent up-grading the city's main street network and the lower speed limit was being introduced to derive maximum benefit from that investment.

Several million Euros was spent where and how? The only things that ever needed to be done is to review the timings for the traffic lights (possibly put in roundabouts instead) and fix the bloody pot holes.
Masterbiker

Postby Woogy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Even better for a young man like myself driving through town on a saturday night! :-) Haha!
Im sure the boyracer community will have no complaints either.
Woogy
Just Joined!

Postby Masterbiker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:26 am

The boyracer community, will like before the change, ignore the speed limits.
Masterbiker

Postby Owen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Oddly - the amount of times you can even get up to 30kph are few and far between. Any time I'm in town driving, I seem to struggle to hit 10kph. The council claimed this was for 'pedestrian safety'. I challenged them on it, and the fact that less than 4% of vehicle related incidents are as a result of speed as the single major contributary factor - and they couldn't answer.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby Bawnee » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 am

You think that's bad try driving into Kilkenny, even with slow speed limit you tend to almost knock down the stoopid pedestrians that just walk out regardless or push their children out first in their buggies.. ! So much for safety and using zebra crossings, its not as if there's enough of them there for their safety. Think town speed limits are crazy, ban cars altogether if they are that worried .... !! :1icon_eek:
Bawnee

Return to Board index

Return to Off Topic Forum