Go to footer

Bluezed's MINI

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Postby AdyP » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:37 am

Well it's all been quiet on the mod front for a while, but I couldn't help myself in the end...

Another bargain came up for sale on MINI2, a slightly used Pipercross Viper Induction kit. Initially I was delighted to get it, followed swiftly by slight disappointment at the fact that it would not fit on my car, the mountings being designed for an early model with a different gearbox mounting.

The only advice I was getting was to either just leave it supported by the standard induction hose and add a bit of padding, or to use cable-ties to strap the thing down. Neither solution appealed to me frankly, so I spent a bit of time looking for how to do it properly, and still have it look good.

In the end, using the standard brackets arranged differently and bolted to a different location in the bay gave me the solution I was looking for.

Shame about the loss of the fantastic growl it used to have with the K&N kit, but I think the response is even better now with lots of cold air now being fed to the engine again. Bit more testing is required before I continue my review of induction kits in the Engine and Drivetrain section. :wink:
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Nice one Bluezed 8)
Interesting that it seems better than the K&N kit.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby jamiecall » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Bit off topic but does the k&n make much noise?? I wouldn't mind getting one but don't want it to make too much noise.
jamiecall
Getting used to the place

Postby AdyP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi there,

I didn't feel the 57i kit made too much noise really. It doesn't sound that different under normal driving, but really comes alive when you accelerate harder. It has a nice deep sound, not like you might hear on a little Saxo engine with an open cone. I think makes it a bit more characterful, particularly if you are using the standard quiet exhaust system, which is why I bought it originally. It's dead easy to fit too.

If you want to have a look at my post in the Engine and Drivetrain section it might give you a bit more of an idea.

I will probably shift on the kit I have, so you are welcome to it. You'll need to to get a new cone though as mine is slightly damaged. It is probably fine but I wouldn't feel happy someone else using it. What I might do is bring it to MTI and folks can have a try of it to see if they like the kit on their car.
AdyP

Postby Owen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:50 am

Hey Adrian,

Your car was looking pretty sweet in this month's Modern MINI!
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby AdyP » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Cheers, it was filthy as well in that shot :)

But so modest Owen, you know you were thrilled to see R53 in there as well! When is the full magazine shoot expected?

The wee lad was very happy to see himself in print for the first time, even though he had about the cheesiest smile on him in the shot.

My car is now faster, but it's a secret as to why...
AdyP

Postby Owen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:24 am

BlueZed wrote:But so modest Owen, you know you were thrilled to see R53 in there as well! When is the full magazine shoot expected?

Who knows? I really don't want to do a magazine feature until there's Big Brakes fitted, but at the rate I'm going, I'm all out of momentum, and with the house move, all out of cash too. So it'll happen at some stage, but not in the immediate future.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Re: Bluezed's MINI

Postby AdyP » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 am

Been a long while posting up on the car and a few nice bits and bobs were fitted including an R56 brake conversion about 6 months ago, made a huge difference to the confidence on those twisty roads!

Unfortunately, the time came for me to say goodbye to the Cooper. The need for a much bigger main car was too much to overcome, so the MINI will hopefully be going to a new home. I left a few MINIClub.ie cards in the service book, so you never know it may show up again on a run if the next owner is so inclined. A few of the tastier bits were removed so the car looks a little more like it did 6 years ago.

Any runs that are on this year will either have me tagging along at the back of the line in the new bus or catching a ride with someone.

So for now I am "sans Mini" once again, and missing my PlayMini tunes already. Hoping to get a project at some point in the not too distant future though.

Bye bye "Blue", good luck wee fella!
AdyP

Postby MiniMpi » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Sad to hear of this Adrian :(
It was a gorgeous car :)
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Derfinn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Have you already sold, Adrian?

Glad to see that you're not going to stay away from the Club.

Good luck with the new wagon, and hope to see you soon.
Derfinn

Postby irlmin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 pm

It must have been a difficult decision to make Adrian . best of luck with the new motor and let Me know when you are looking for a project as there are always a few around . and of course if you ever need a MINI 'fix' give me a shout and I can sort a MINI for you for he odd event in Cork ,what bits did you remove ?
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Bawnee » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Aw I'm glad I got to take a spin in Blue & let's hope the new owners keep it in good order, loved your car! Well I'm glad you removed some bits.. ;) Well here's to the future whatever it brings! You'd be missed in the club defo, so glad yourgona stick around, you can drive my Clubman anytime!!
Bawnee

Postby AdyP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks guys. It was a sad decision to make, but it was the right one for now... Have moved into the VW arena again with a quick Octavia (yes Derek it is a Wagon as well ;) )

Ger if I need either a project or a "fix" I will definitely be onto you :)

Few bits and bobs I will look to shift, will post them up on the For Sale section and see who is interested.

Cheers
Adrian
AdyP

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars