Go to footer

Rob's "S"

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Postby iwanagofast » Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 pm

:king:
[img:321:240]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/iwanagofast/MINI%20and%20focus/100_0300-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
iwanagofast
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby iwanagofast » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Well thats a DaveF hybraid box on its way to me.
[img:321:240]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/iwanagofast/MINI%20and%20focus/100_0300-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
iwanagofast

Postby iwanagofast » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Well I got home yesterday and I've fitted the new airbox. The car sound great, the whine is loud from 2500rpm and the car feels more responsive.
I highly recommend this to anyone with an r53, it'll only set you back £136 inc postage
This CAI is made by a guy over on mini torque, who makes them in batches of 10 at a time. I think he has about 6 left. He is known for his M3 ones and has this one for the R53.
I've copied the feedback below.

From Mini Torque
Posted by Jove:
First of all thanks to Dave.f for letting use try this out.

The quality is top notch so no complaints there, it's easy to fit and all the normal stuff... Unfortunately we didn't get chance to compare it to the JCW I'll try and get some done over the weekend.
Update:
Just done a little back to back with the JCW v Hybrid.

JCW With GRS FMIC
Boost - 13.9
Ambient Temps 20c

Hybrid With GRS FMIC
Boost 14.1
Ambient Temps 20c

Tristo was running "The Hybrid" at the track with out any problems. When compared to the Alta it gained 0.6PSI and was running 3c lower.

Posted by Bigshow:
Must say I was very impressed with this in the flesh... looked totally OEM... first rate.

Posted by Tristo:
Yep i was really impressed by the 'hybrid intake' it gave me a little more boost than usual and keep the inlet temps lower due to no hot air being sucked in.

Would deffinately recommend one

Posted by GRS’ MotorSport:
Rigsey its time to sell up and buy one of these

Very straight forward to install, much better setup than the Alta one I was using. Ray West always told me open air box's were useless

Just been out for a shake down run, so oil temp wasn't warm enough to do some reall testing, but all looks good so far.

I'm sure Dave is going to sell plenty of these air filters.

My comments on dave. F air box are, now I’ve driven my car properly:

Quality of this product is superb
Is any easy fit
Its quieter than my Alta
Jove’s done the testing to prove it works!
Everyone should have one!

Posted by Damo:
Took the car for a quick spin (to make sure everything was okay).

1st thing for me, supercharger noise is much quieter. This is down to the fact I had the alta and not back panel at all. Having said that its louder than stock and a JCW (from memory but its been a week since I was in a JCW). At first i was a bit sad however after a quick blast I think I maybe getting old as I actually prefer it. Car doesn't feel like its working as hard for the performance.

I know in general air filters aren't worth a huge amount performance wise but car feels a little smoother throttle wise. Not sure how much of it is psychological but either way I'm happy enough.

Tomorrow my commute home will be a good idea of how it has effected intake temp and boost. Intake temps on the motorway for me have always been better than Grahams 10 degrees below ambient (usually sits at 8 degrees) and at the moment thats with my intercooler divertor being less than ideal with my M7 Scoop.

Overall for anyone looking at a CAI. I'd say this is by far one of the best solutions out there and certainly the best value for money.

With Jove's figures I can't think of any reason to justify the money on the JCW air filter over this.
If you love Supercharger whine, then 17% pulley, with Alta CAI and the back panel removed is impossible to beat.

But if you want performance and a balanced engine/exhaust noise (assuming no Manifold lol) then this is the way to go

Alta has now gone and I'm not looking back

Posted by Countdown:

Woohoo recieved mine this morning, thanks dave.

What can I say build quality really is excellent!!

Easy enough to install, I used a hole 72mm hole cutter ( 3 piece hole cutter incl mandral £5 from B&Q). approx 20mins to install.

Havent really had a chance to road test it properly, just drove it round the block, it does sound awsome though supercharger whine is much louder

Posted by Nick Johnson:

Another review for the D.FH Airbox, only managed to fit mine this evening due to a hectic week so far.
You can imagine the excitement as it is the first real performance modification I’ve bought for the Mini so far. The first thing that amazed me was how filthy the current panel filter was bearing in mind it has just had its 40,000 mile service. I was disgusted that BMW hadn’t replaced it to be honest. My thoughts have always been since I’d bought the car back in March that it could have been slightly more responsive.
Anyway after opening the box and taking a look at the D.FH Airbox the first thing you notice is that it is a quality piece of equipment and that is very well finished indeed. Dave provides a wonderful little set of instructions which if you follow you can’t really mess up.
After fitting the Airbox and dropping the bonnet I climbed aboard and headed out of the driveway, even on mildly low acceleration there is a whine from the supercharger which wasn’t present when the standard airbox was fitted so I was thinking under full acceleration it is going to sound mental. It did, wow under full load the supercharger noise is wonderful and it made me grin from ear to ear.
Performance wise the engine feels so much happier to rev due to its ease to breath now and the last 3000 RPM’s it pulls a lot stronger in my opinion than it did over stock. This benefit along with added throttle response has made this a very worthy modification.
I am itching to turn up the boost but this will have to wait, as I want to make sure it stops first so the brake upgrade is next. Thanks again Dave! 10/10 Nick

Posted by Rigsey:

OK following on and expanding from my comments elsewhere:

I fitted my Dave F Hybrid CAI on Monday, easy to fit aided by the fact the my GTT CAI scuttle hole was an almost perfect fit/line up

Initial observations compared to GTT CAI:
IATs slightly lower at cruise (observed via ScanGauge)
IAT recovery time alot better (observed by SG); not managed to get IAT over 50 at the moment
Heat soak greatly reduced (see above)
Slightly less supercharger noise (I quite like this + replaced by manifold noise)
Like the stock under bonnet look
Fit and finish good
I previously went back to the stock airbox + K&N panel filter and the car felt slightly strangled at high revs compared to the GTT CAI - no such issue with the hybrid version.
In summary all good

Thanks Dave F and MINI Torque
iwanagofast

Postby iwanagofast » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:34 pm

I fitted the oracari vents today, looks really well, cheers for paint ger
iwanagofast

Postby iwanagofast » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:40 pm

I got the stock exhaust one balled during the week. 8 kg out of the car, sounds a little louder with plenty of pops and crackles and all for 80 euros.
iwanagofast

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars