Go to footer

Newton - my R56 Cooper S.

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Re:

Postby Derfinn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks again Ferg!

And thanks Jim!
Derfinn
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby AdyP » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Don't like it...

Just kidding it looks the business Derek! Doesn't always work on some colours but it really suits yours.
AdyP

Re:

Postby Derfinn » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:48 pm

LOL!!!!! lol lol lol lol

Thanks Adrian!

I think so too! And it's a good match with the chrome mirrors too......
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:28 pm

While over on Nicky and Derek's Dales run, Newton developed the dreaded cold start rattle.

I was always too scared to replicate the conditions to check if it had it. But one evening I just had to move him the short distance to the hotel car park. The following morning the rattle was there.

Found the motoring file article that Owen posted up here, and retrieved the PUMA codes, and got onto the dealers.

Newton is going in to have the problem investigated on the 10th August.
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Dropped Newton off today, for the diagnostic to be run on him regarding the dreaded cold start rattle.

He went in for an overnight, and they are going to check him out over a series of conditions, so that seems all good.

They gave me a loaner car that has just put years on me.......
I came home in a 1.5 ltr diesel automatic, Mitsubishi Colt!

Come back Newton, I miss you!!!!!
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 pm

The parts are in, and Newton is booked in tomorrow for the next bit of work to banish the rattle.

Thankfully, it'll only be a half day job.

And, it also means that for tomorrow at least, I don't have to take part in Irish Rail's contingency get 10,000 to the city centre plans!
Derfinn

Postby MiniMpi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Great news Derek!! :)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Derfinn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks Ferg!

Right, this is getting more complicated. Newton is home, but they want him back in again next week, and they want to keep him overnight. They want to get an idea of how bad the problem is from cold themselves.

So, have to drop around again next Wednesday, for them to put him through the garage next Thursday.
Derfinn

Postby oliver » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Best of luck with that Derek.
oliver

Postby Derfinn » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:32 pm

Newton was in again today.

A few engine mounts were replaced, by the time I got over the service people were gone, but I'm going to get them to email me the work they did so I'll have it.

I could have waited for tomorrow, but the loan car just had to go back. It wasn't as bad as the diesel automatic Mitsubishi Colt.......it was an automatic Lancer this time. Not as jerky as the Colt, but still absolutely no poke it it at all!!!!!

Newton did seem a LOT smoother now. Will be doing my tests over the weekend, but hopefully the rattle is all gone now.
Derfinn

Postby Owen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:44 pm

Finger's crossed Der, it's good when you can get your car back to perfect condition :)
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby Bawnee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Work in progress it seems but they do sound thourough!! :) (oops spelt wrong), good luck with it. LOL At Hire Cars, don't you love handing those ones back asap!! :$
Bawnee

Postby Derfinn » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Owen wrote:Finger's crossed Der, it's good when you can get your car back to perfect condition :)

Bawnee wrote:Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:52 pm Post subject:
Work in progress it seems but they do sound thourough!! (oops spelt wrong), good luck with it. LOL At Hire Cars, don't you love handing those ones back asap!!

Fingers crossed indeed! But here's hoping. Did a cold start test last night/today and all was well. Will try again in a few weeks time!

But yes, it was good to give the keys of those loaners back! Though it was surprising how easy it was to get used to driving an auto! I nearly stalled Newton on the M50 as I forgot I had to use my left leg again!!! :1icon_pale:

And it was strange having to turn a key to start the engine!
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:47 pm

The saga continues.......

As it was late when I collected Newton last week, he was handed over by security.

Over the weekend, there was still a bit of a roughness on starting first thing in the day. I rang the garage to get a copy of the work carried out emailed to me, for my own records, and also to compare it against the list of jobs on the PUMA code.

Anyway, while I was waiting for the email. I got a call from the garage to say that they 'forgot' to fit the timing chain and the tensioner belt. And wanted to call Newton is again as soon as possible. We agreed today.

So that meant a few more needless trips over the M50! But also today, with the additional M1 traffic, and an accident beside the Airport Roundabout, it took twice as long to get to the Naas Road.

Then at 4, just was I was getting ready to hop on the LUAS back out, I got a call to day they wanted to keep Newton overnight, and run a few more tests in the morning. While I'm glad about that, it was fairly inconvenient. Thankfully, I had my travel pass with me to get home.

Hopefully, they won't be too busy tomorrow, and they will be able to deliver Newton to me at work.

And hopefully that will be it!
Derfinn

Postby MiniMpi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Saga indeed.................... :1icon_frown:
Fingers crossed it will be sorted then Derek.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars