Go to footer

Newton - my R56 Cooper S.

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Postby Bawnee » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 am

Mmm, well lets hope this is Newton done for a while.... Bit of an inconvenience but safety paramount so its best have him 100% for your left leg!! LOL.
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby irlmin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:58 am

Derek , make sure you take no nonsence from these guys , your problem is well documented and there is a fix , why some dealers have to put owners through the hoops to get what is now a small problem solved I will never know . MINI have acknowledged the problem and no matter what 'testing' these clowns do they will still have to do the 'fix' and they will get paid from MINI to do it . I would have a look at Oliver's experience and the history of his 'rattle' problem to illustrate my point , 18 months being messed around by a dealer who either had no clue what the problem was or for some peculiar reason thought it necessary to put every hurdle in the way of good customer service , then a change of Dealer to Morrison MINI in Cahir and instantly problem solved --- efficiently and courtiously . so my advice is to explain to these guys that this is the last time you are bringing the car in and you are calling MINI customer service in Bracknell to relate the events so far . also you chose to buy a MINI and not a Mitsubishi Colt or lancer therefore the minimum you expect when your car is in is another MINI as a courtesy car , you should not be the fallguy for their incompetence as this problem is now fixable with no delay .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Derfinn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks for the best wishes, things took another bit of a turn today.

My car was being worked on today, right up until lunchtime. Bit odd, for a car that was left in for a half day work yesterday.

So, I said that I wasn't heading back out, that I had bought a return yesterday. That was agreed, and I gave great directions round the one-way system to my office (and I'm really useless at giving directions!)

Anyway, Newton was being brought back into me at about 3:30. Then I got a call. Another warning light was displayed (when the driver was about Heuston Station).

They said they'd need to keep the car for the weekend. I said that was not acceptable, that I needed a car at the weekend. They said they'd see what they could do. So the driver (who test drove my car) was dispatched for me in a 118d.

He said it was the battery warning that was lit, and that it was strange as they didn't work on the battery. But that it should be simple enough to sort, only that it would be on Monday, as the service was backlogged.

I told him about my loan car woes of past, and he said the 118 he was driving should be free.

When I was talking to the service girl, she asked if I had a preference for manual or automatic. I said manual, and preferably something that wasn't a Mitsubishi. She looked a bit taken aback, but I actually did say that as I bought a MINI, I'm more likely to buy a BMW in future, and also, I just didn't feel as safe in a Mitsubishi.

So now I'm in a 118d 3 door. It's looks as if it dark silver too! Very sedate drive, but here's hoping Newton will be fixed on Monday.

They had printed out the job card, so at least I know what was done.

If it does continue, I may just need to go on a trip to Cahir myself......
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Newton is home.

Praise the Lord! Hallejuiah!

I was surprised just how smooth he was, it was very noticeable.
Have just been out and did stage 1 of the cold rattle test. Will be interesting to see if this is it (and fingers crossed it is!!!!)
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Another year, another problem.
When traveling back home on NYE, the display lit up just as we hit the M50.

Manual is saying it could be DSC or chassis control. Hope it's not.

Booked in for a diagnostic check, and also a TLC service on Wednesday, so we shall see from then....
Derfinn

Re: Newton - my R56 Cooper S.

Postby irlmin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Is it still on ? if so a 'reset' might sort it .and if not a diagnostic check will tell what caused the light to come on . as regards the TLC service make sure you ask what items have been replaced ,a few quid for filters now will pay dividends later and I have always felt TLC service intervals / replaced items are not regular enough :1icon_frown: you should see the filters we remove from some MINIs that have been on TLC :mad: :mad: .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby MiniMpi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 pm

If you hit any big pools of water it may have put the light on. When it dries out it may be okay ;)
I also echo what Ger said ref TLC, check what was replaced.
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Derfinn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:53 am

Thanks Ger and Ferg.
Unfortunately, tried the reset as soon as it was safe, but these ones are persistent lights! Relieved not to have to travel far tomorrow.
Will definitely ask about what took place on the service. Good tip!
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:13 pm

The key read was looking for a 2nd brake service, and was told only 1 is covered on TLC.

And the DSC had switched itself off (that's what the warning light was), but haven't received the call about what caused that yet, and they've had him over 5 hours now. I'm due to start making my way back out in 3!

Anyway, hope it's all good.
Derfinn

Postby Derfinn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:48 pm

There was a perished seal on the DSC unit, which resulted in a leak of brake fluid.
The bad news is that given it's a road safety issue, they won't release until fixed.

The good news, is that given it's a road safety issue, they will be going to MINI Ireland to pay the cost.

Plus, I was going to head home on the train. But I heard that the Joe Duffy fleet is now comprised mainly if Countrymans. So, I'll be taking one home tonight.....it'd be rude not too!!!
Derfinn

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Glad they diagnosed the problem Derek ;)
Enjoy the Countryman :) :)
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Bawnee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Oh wow, glad they found the problem & that they wont release Newton until its fixed, Countryman, mm! Enjoy!
Bawnee

Postby Derfinn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks Ferg.
Hope you get to the root of Yorkie's problem today too.

Thanks Siobhan.
I'm glad too! Plus, I was dreading having an unexpected bill after Christmas, so that's all good.

And on other news, I can now confirm that the next MINI will definitely be a Countryman. Not as much fun as a Coupe, granted, but just as much fun as a hatch!
Derfinn

Postby Bawnee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 am

Good stuff, ooh countryman!!
Bawnee

Postby Derfinn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:44 am

Was told about the work that was carried out for the DSC problem, and thankfully that was done as goodwill.

I had to ask about the TLC items, and in particular I asked about the air filter. Was told that it was replaced, of course. But then, just as I arrived home, I got a call to say that they were out of stock of air filters, so I will have to go back when they're in.
Derfinn

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars