Go to footer

Checkmate

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Postby inny1300 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 pm

that's what we like to hear good luck regard's jon :)
inny1300
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby firebirds_rock » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:29 pm

So the list of stuff so far:

- Find and fix mystery Oil leak
- Repair leaking Thermostat

- Replace both inner sills
- Replace both corners of the scuttle panel
- Replace parts of both front foot-wells
- Patch old roll cage mounting holes
- Grind back numerous small patch's of rust

Enough to keep Me going, but I'm sure I'll find more

For reasons both financial and practical (I need a car going for getting to University, since public transport is slowly killing me), I'm going to hold off on any major magnifications (Vis-à-vis engine, etc) for the moment. Just get it on the road for now
Last edited by firebirds_rock on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firebirds_rock
Getting used to the place

Re: Checkmate

Postby firebirds_rock » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:29 pm

New year and a new look...... well it is for the Mini anyway :D proper work has finally begun, battling the rust :D it's just a shame that College starts next week, it will start taking up all my time again..... but I think now I've made a start and a good dent in the amount of work to be done, I'll be able to keep working away in my little bits of free time and hopefully have it on the road by the Summer :D............. maybe :p
firebirds_rock

Postby AdyP » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:04 pm

I find a lot can be accomplished with loud music, endless cups of tea and jaffa cakes and no small amount of swearing.

Good luck with the project mate.
AdyP

Postby Owen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 pm

When I was building my car, Jaffa cakes were essential too. Discovered something though ... when I was using the Mother's garage, she would bring out tea every 45 mins or so. If you put tea down on anything metal, it'll go stone cold in seconds.

I'm hopefully starting a classic restoration this year having never ever done it before, so I'll be keeping an eye on your project. Plenty of pics please! :)
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby firebirds_rock » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Yes thats a good idea, I'll take some pics tomorrow :) and I haven't had this much Tea in a long time, I will have to put in a request for Jaffa cakes :)
firebirds_rock

Postby inny1300 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Hello James,that is great news on starting the rebuild and even if it is a camera,it's well worth taking any shot also it is handy on the wiring side as well if you can't remember the way the wires go back it paid off for me (a few times) :1icon_eek: :1icon_cool: and try and get the double pack of jaffa's better value last longer,talk soon jon :1icon_twisted:
inny1300

Postby firebirds_rock » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Well heres a few pics of the major areas of body work that I'm tackling at the moment

This was covered in fiberglass..... there was more or less no metal left underneath it

This side was abit better.... but there was alot of filler

I found this when I decided to take out the passenger side rear window because I wanted to check a questionable looking bit of rust.... the hole was full of filler.... lucky me :)

I found this when I was playing with the dash..... it was also full of filler.....

Passenger side inner sill was taken out today as a well aimed screw driver would go straight though it.... luckily the outer sill is still solid

This is the outside of one of the mounting plates that were put in when the Mini at some point had a roll cage..... I think having this done to it is the main reason why its so bad in places.... the different mounting plates were badly installed and have lead to some of the rust since they are full of holes... and as you can see they didn't finish them on the outside at all, more work for me to do to pretty them up abit

And now the worst bit.... the drivers side sill is gone straight through inside and out (a well placed finger will make a new hole in some parts) and the door step is gone in places too.... so shall require a complete replacement...... its scary to think that I was being towed home in this.... if I was hit from that side me thinks I would have died horribly..... ahhh well :D
firebirds_rock

Postby MiniMpi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 am

You have your work cut out for you there(pardon the pun!).
Great feeling to resurect a lovely Mini though so it will be brilliant to get it done ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby firebirds_rock » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 am

well its already had its cut out of me..... caught my finger on a piece of metal and without even realizing it there was blood everywhere :1icon_blackeye: .......but yes there is alot to do, I just hope that I can get it all done to a half-decent standard..... but I think at this point it is a labour of love.... I can't wait to get it on the road :D
firebirds_rock

Postby MiniMpi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:56 am

I've never done a job on any of my Mini's/MINI's that haven't taken blood from me!!! lol lol
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Si » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 pm

You got your work cut out there lol

Updated your first page of pics ;)
EssentialMINI.co.uk
The original dash light modder....
Si
Site Admin

Postby Bawnee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 am

A Vampire Checkmate, what name are you giving your pocket rocket? That's an ambitious project, looking forward to following it!!
Bawnee

Postby alanmorriss » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm hopefully starting a classic restoration this year having never ever done it before, so I'll be keeping an eye on your project. Plenty of pics please!
alanmorriss
Just Joined!

Postby bomber01 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:22 am

Hi James ,
you sure have a project on your hands there but if you put the effort in it will be worth it.
If you need information on how to convert to the bmw k1100 head give me a pm.
but it really more suited for the 1275cc engines.

john
[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc67/lancasterj/IMG_2173.jpg[/IMG]
bomber01
Club Treasurer

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars