Go to footer

Owen's Moped

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Owen's Moped

Postby Owen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Friend of mine emigrated to Australia a few years back, and gave me his moped before he went. It's a Peugeot Trekker 50, which is a fine little bike, but it had loads of problems he just didn't have time to sort as he lived in Dublin, and let this in Cork for when he was visiting his Mum.

I had to fault find the electric start system, tried a new battery, new relay, and eventually had to fit a reconditioned starter motor. I also had to fix a problem with the indicators which worked when they wanted - a new flasher unit sorted that.

Today, was my first chance to improve the look of the bike, it was candy apple red, but had been dropped, and covered in scratches, so I stripped it at 1 today, and had it painted by 5. There were 9 parts to paint in total, one was just a coating of satin black, but the others fit right in with this forum. All the lower parts of the bodywork and the top cowling around the instruments have been painted in Cooper S Dark Silver Metallic, and the main body panels have been painted in White Silver Metallic - a colour only available on the Sidewalk convertible, and rarely bought. The contrast of the two is nice, and I'm looking forward to bolting it altogether again tomorrow. I need a new exhaust now to finish the look of the bike, and I'm thinking of even putting a MINI badge on the front of the bike for the fun of it, but in the meantime, here are the parts freshly painted and lacquered :

Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Re: Owen's Moped

Postby Bawnee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:56 am

Hey Alvie & yourself could be the out riders !! :) Lol.. nice project while you wait on your shell! :)
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Owen » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Woot, it's back together. Still need to get it a shiny new exhaust, but the bodywork is done. Not a bad combination - a bit tame maybe, but they're definitely two MINI colours that work really well together. I really like the white silver, think when I get my shell it may end up having some of this colour on it!

Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby Bawnee » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:53 pm

It is a nice combo but I think it's missing some oomph!!
Bawnee

Postby ken79 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:44 am

class. I love mopeds.!!! Have a vespa t5 in bits at the min.
[img:360:76]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/bebospy/2932016390a5237598833l-5-1.jpg[/img]
ken79

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars