Go to footer

Okay.....so I've a plan...

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Okay.....so I've a plan...

Postby Derfinn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 pm

Right, as you all know, I've only had Newton for little over a year, and despite the warranty issues, I've enjoyed every kilometer.

But, after I bought him, Declan had to quit his job (as a result of that accident in 2007), and then Brian Lenihan attacked my pay packet.

I had always planned to keep Newton longer than usual (planned to change in 2014.....I'm that much of a control freak), but I just thought that I should be sensible, and after a chat with the Checkout Girl in Tesco, I formulated a plan. (Please note, there was method to my madness, she has a 05 R50 Cooper, and is awaiting delivery of a Cooper D). She was told that she can expect her weekly fuel bill to drop from €90 to €25 (She drives from Malahide to Balbriggan).

That got me thinking! I introduced myself to Alan in Joe Duffys at MTI, as I know his Dad, and a colleague bought both her MINIs off him. I said I give him a chance! But he is no longer there - he's now in Frank Keanes (where I bought Newton).

Anyway, I had specced up a Graphite Cooper D, and off I went to Joe's. Well, I was not impressed. I was told I wouldn't be able to spec one, that it would be more cost effective for me to take one from their demo lot, (they had a Chili Red and Midnight Black). The salesguy said it would also cost me €7495 to change!!! (HOW MUCH!!!!!) I didn't even start haggling, as that was just a ridiculous starting spot, as far as I was concerned.

So, I took a trip to see Ken in Frank Keanes (he only told me about Alan today). He input my Graphite spec, and said he'd need to check with Oxford, but it would take about 6 weeks to build. But there was a problem, due to the holiday shut down period, it would take till early Sept, and Ken was concerned about the cost to change for me for later in the year.

So, he is about to take delivery of a stock Graphite Cooper D. My spec had the Chili Pack, Antracite roof lining, the HK stereo upgrade (which is a no cost option!), and a few other bits and bobs. Ken asked what could he add to a basic Graphite, and then we could do a straight swap!!! (Yes, a straight swap!)

I thinking that I would definitely need a sports steering wheel, and also a set of Flame Spokes. But what else could be changed at the Dealers?

I know this is very impulsive (again!!!), as I had a nice list of jobs that I was planning for Newton!
Derfinn
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Owen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 pm

I'm out of action at the moment Der, but list here what you want and I'll tell you if it's poss or not.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Re: Okay.....so I've a plan...

Postby irlmin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:00 am

Der be aware there is a mid life refresh or facelift on the way , 1st cars are being produced in August , nothing major BUT some nice little touches on the interior , have a look on motoring file for a preview . as regards the stock car specs aren't bad now but I think the standard seats might be difficult to adjust to . have you phoned around the dealer network ? might be worth a try as perhaps some dealers might have 'spec changeable ' cars in the system .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Derfinn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks Owen.
I'm just stuck on the steering wheel and Flame spokes at the minute.....think I need to see the basic one.

Wow....thanks Ger!
Forgot about that refresh.....that new interior looks fantastic.
I will miss the anthracite roof, I love that.
And yes, the seats are my big concern, after all, I do have Dec's back to consider as part of this.

I've only tried those two dealers for now. I must give Morrissons a call. Tommy did say to me in Clonmel that the Graphite is selling half as well as he thought it would.

Ken in Frank Keane's is being great. He still remembered Newton's reg, a little touch I was very impressed by!

But I'll keep ye posted.
Derfinn

Postby Bawnee » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Wow... Well i think you should wait & see what the refresh is like & shop around. I'll be watching this thread with interest! Go Ken in Frank Keane's, he sounds like the man and yes Lumbar Support a definite, i'd never go back! lol.. Excuse pun!
Bawnee

Postby Derfinn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Right....I have made a decision. And it was much much harder than what I thought it would be.

I was very very shocked at trade-in value offered (and as I'm very impulsive, I won't have the time/patience to sell privately). So, it would have pushed me well over budget to go and spec up a new one.

I can afford a basic Graphite, or demo model with (8,00km) but there are some many things with each that I don't like. Plus, by affording them, I am up to the very top of my budget, and it took a lot of persuasion to get there! I was thinking that the Graphite would look great with Ger's 17" wheels he currently has for sale.

But, it was the interior that got me, after all that's what I'd be seeing the most of. So, I have decided that my idea isn't justified at the moment. I do have some plans for Newton that I would like to see completed, and I have never enjoyed a car as much as him. (I have decided to keep the MTI plate on for his trip to Yorkshire next weekend!)

So that's it, it did make economic sense. I think I would save about €30 a month I imagine when all is said and done, but I don't think it was worth that sacrifice.
Derfinn

Postby irlmin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:47 pm

A very wise decision Der , on several grounds , You have lived with a well specced MINI for a while now and in my opinion there is no going back on decent seats etc etc , there is a facelift due and value of the ex 'demo' graphite will fall when the facelifts start to arrive in a month or so , I would have no problem going to diesel as the torque is amazing and economy is brilliant as well BUT do you do enough mileage every year to justify a change ? . adapt your driving style to economy mode and watch the results , I recently went on a Sunday run to West Cork in the Clubman and really watched the driving style and got an amazing 52.3 mpg over a 250 km route , My normal mpg is 40 ish . enjoy your S and have a look again next year when things may be more stable and residuals sensible ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars