Go to footer

Project Oh Jesus Christ What the F*ck have I done?

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Project Oh Jesus Christ What the F*ck have I done?

Postby Owen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 pm

May have bitten off more than I can chew with this one, but it'll be fun to see how it turns out. As some of you know, I've been on the lookout for a classic for a long time now, but a fixer upper. Mad Mike had this in his shed guarded by cows gathering dust, and an exchange was made. It's a 1984 Austin Mini Tripper. Ger tells me that the Tripper thing was an Irish level of specification, but Google tells me nothing about what that might have been. Mad curious to find out if anyone knows. There's also an E badge on the back, which Ger told me means it had a differently geared differential to save petrol.

Haven't done much with it since I got it back to Cork on Sunday, but looking at it, it'll need 2 doors, probably 2 outer sills, a lot of rust treatment, and potentially a new roof. There's an original centre speedometer, brown half leather interior, and original keys with original keyring. A bit of research on the registration tells me that it's a late May 1984 998cc car, registered in Cork City. It's got no engine or geabox, but that can be easily sorted.

So the plan is to get cracking on the bodywork over the coming months, sort out the rust, and respray it entirely. Colour I don't know, that'll be the toughest decision, go standard, go mental, go modern, retro, but I'll have plenty of time to think it through. Engine wise, I'd like to put another 998 back in there I think, maybe with some performance accessories to give it some oomph. Anyway - Photos! But beforehand, huge thanks to Mad Mike, and to Ger so far on the project. I'll take better photos soon!

Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Re: Project Oh Jesus Christ What the F*ck have I done?

Postby redS » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 am

what a fantastic project, nice to do something different..
But........rather you than me :)
"Bend the rules, Rule the bends"
redS
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Derfinn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Congratulations Owen on finally getting your classic project! Not quite the 1978, but 1984 isn't too bad!

Have fun!

Did you manage to sell Project R53? (Just being curious.....)
Derfinn

Postby PaintDoc » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Best of luck Owen, this will test your skills in the bodywork field............
PaintDoc
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:27 pm

A daunting but epic project ;)
Best of Luck buddy and here if you need any help or advice.
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Owen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks guys, probably won't do too much to it this year due to other time constraints, but I'll be attacking it soon enough once I've catalogued what's needed.

Der - haven't sold the new MINI yet, might not either. But it's a tough decision for me either way, part of me says keep it, and part of me says sell it. Never know what to do :) Plus, MINI United's back on next year again, so I'm all over the place with that.
Owen

Postby redS » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 am

Owen wrote:Thanks guys, probably won't do too much to it this year due to other time constraints, but I'll be attacking it soon enough once I've catalogued what's needed.

Der - haven't sold the new MINI yet, might not either. But it's a tough decision for me either way, part of me says keep it, and part of me says sell it. Never know what to do :) Plus, MINI United's back on next year again, so I'm all over the place with that.

Keep it its one of a kind, or better still ill swap with ya.. ;)
"Bend the rules, Rule the bends"
redS

Postby madredhead » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Well Owen not a bother lad I told ya uv a challenge in front of ya. But well done plus how's ur reversing a trailer goin haha :)
madredhead
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Owen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:38 pm

D'ya know, it's actually a lot better. I'm actually parallel parking the damn thing.
Owen

Postby leyland » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Looks like mad Mike dident look after that car very well, He could have at least washed it before he sold it to you, Hope you were able to bargain him down a tad with that slight blemish on the roof. Anyway seriously Owen hope you have fun with the project and best of luck. I know its in the right hands now.
Leyland
Yes we can.
leyland
MCOI Founding Member

Postby madredhead » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey leyland I tried t clean the rust off it haha if I had the time I wud hav kept it
madredhead
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby leyland » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:32 pm

At least he has a good start for a sunroof. Alot of work to be done but will be well worth it.

L
Yes we can.
leyland
MCOI Founding Member

Postby AdyP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Wow the bootlid looks to be in pretty good shape though! Pretty sure you can get complete new roof skins from Heritage, if not I cut the roof off another car for mine even though there was not as much ventilation as you have :)

No gold bars hidden in the boot by any chance?
AdyP

Postby Owen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Was chatting with Ger today about the roof and the outer sills. I can't weld for shit, so Aidan will probably do the honours, but the rest I can manage. Ger's been letting me play with some classic Minis lately, and I'm pretty okay now with how the bodywork goes together and countering rust. Going to get stuck into it someday next week with stripping it down and seeing what's salvageable.
Owen

Postby bomber01 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Owen,
Best of luck with your project ..any decision on the engine spec yet or are you keeping origional?
I am doing a clear out at present to make room for the next project , so give me a shout if you
stuck for any bits or bobs ... you never know what I have around.!!

john
[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc67/lancasterj/IMG_2173.jpg[/IMG]
bomber01
Club Treasurer

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars