Go to footer

project mini

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

project mini

Postby BenW » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm

I have had this 850 for ages now it has come to the time where i have to crack on and spend some money.. Im going to build a rally style car.. so if any one has any parts or any ideas for it let me no..sound :S
BenW
Just Joined!

Re: project mini

Postby BenW » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:30 pm

the car with the new front

made up a quick stand to dad with some scrap to hold then engine in the air so i can work on it easy when i take it to college to rebuild

il put up more photos soon :1icon_cool:
BenW
Just Joined!

Postby BenW » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:40 pm

BenW
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Welcome and great photos :)
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby irlmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Welcome to the site and its brilliant to have some more projects here , keep the pics coming .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby BenW » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:47 pm

i will.. feel free to say some ideas i have a few my self but i would like some others to..
BenW
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Best advice I can give is 'keep it simple' . I would focus on getting your bodywork 100% rust free and get professional help if necessary with bodywork and paint if you don't have the skills yourself , personally I would avoid bodykits and 13" wheels ,I have spent 1/2 my life trying to talk customers out of fitting 13" wheels and almost all that go ahead with it come back and say 'why didn't we listen' . with your bodyshell sorted get your subframes / suspension components cleaned up and painted with a decent black paint and fit new bushes and radius arm kits if necessary . use new stainless bolts / nuts / washers where possible . shocks etc are dependent on projected use and there are lots on the market . you now have a rolling shell fit brightwork and lighting etc , a little tip for lenzes put them in the dishwasher at home and they will look like new . pick a 'theme' for the interior , ie standard or retro or indeed custom again lots of options depending on budget . engine again is dependent on budget and need , ie you can go with anything from an 850 with an unleaded head to a 1.0 with a stage 1 tuning kit to a standard 1.3 and from there its the 'sky' is the limit . as I said keep it simple and make sure stuff like fuel pipes , electrical connections are 100% this will ensure reliability when the car is used . as you are going with the Rally look it makes things easier as regards trim etc and all the items used in the 60s rally cars are still available ie works dash , roll cage etc etc , we are building 2 with that look for customers at present and 'rally' bits are no problem to source .lots of stuff to think about there BUT remember its YOUR Mini and your project and Minis have been modified since launch in 1959 and this is what made them so interesting ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby BenW » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 pm

sound mate.. ya i say il be in to your shop allot.. im only living out by coachford.. im hoping to do all the work my self.. and if i can afford to replace every nut and bolt on the car.. a lad in college has a set of bran new spax shocks i am buying them next week if they are at a good price. i got a price today to put hardened valve seats in the head to run it on unleaded fuel €130. so all i can say is im going to buy whatever i can afford and what i cant buy il make..its my first project car im only 18 so i hope to go it turns out nice :D
BenW
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 pm

As regards the unleaded head any 1.0 engine after 1989 until the end of 1.0 production in mid 92 will have an unleaded head which will work with an 850 with a little work , might save you a few quid .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Masterbiker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:17 pm

This looks like it will be a lot of fun to do. I wish I had an indoor space to do something like that. Good luck!
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby BenW » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm

ah sound ya its my dads shed i just took a space in it...

I started with my wheels today just gave them a wash.. must take them to my friend to get the tires taken off them before i get them sand blasted.. sory about the lack of photos my phone went dead.
BenW
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars