Go to footer

Adrian's JCW

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Re: BlueZed's JCW

Postby AdyP » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Masterbiker wrote:We could swap?

Sorry I didn't respond back to your kind offer Michael. I read it, then everything went all fuzzy and I just woke up a couple of minutes ago...better not read your post again for a bit.
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Adrian's JCW

Postby Fluoxetine » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:23 pm

Lovely car, Adrian :D

Still enjoying mine (although I had a wobble over chopping it in for an M135i recently :1icon_redface: )

Hope to see it in the metal at some point this year :1icon_smile:
Fluoxetine
Just Joined!

Postby THEBOOKKEEPER » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Wow....its beautiful. Well wear :)
THEBOOKKEEPER
Getting used to the place

Postby AdyP » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Just spent a thoroughly enjoyable 4 hours stripping the front of the car so that I could replace a couple of cracked side/fog lights... 4 hours!!!!!!

My old R50 only took me about 15mins to strip the bumper off, but the 56 needs jacking up and then is all plastic plugs and bolts and clips, a major effort to take apart. It didn't help that the spotlights got in the way of getting the grille off as well.

Anyway all sorted and two brand new light units installed now...and they even work as well thank goodness.

Almost wish I had a shiny intercooler to snuggle under the bumper at the same time, but I will not be rushing to repeat today's fun just for that :)
AdyP

Postby MiniMpi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:28 pm

I could have sent you a link on how to replace the foglight units "without removing the bumper"...........but sure you enjoyed yourself anyway and that's what counts lol :) :) :)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby AdyP » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:03 pm

If it said to access them via the wheel arches then no chance! Tried that already but the washer bottle was in the way...

Send the link anyway so I can check it out :)
AdyP

Postby MiniMpi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:14 pm

AdyP wrote:If it said to access them via the wheel arches then no chance! Tried that already but the washer bottle was in the way...

Send the link anyway so I can check it out :)

"You can fit DRLs without removing the bumper! Remove the arch liner at the front to gain access (DUH!) At the drivers side unbolt the horn = easy peasy access to front fog lamp.

At the passenger side remove the washer pump from the bottle by pulling vertically upwards. Remove the plastic rivet from the washer bottle neck in the engine bay and the two torx from the bottle body. The bottle is held in with a peg on the bottom a bit of BF&I from a largeish spanner will persuade it to release. This will give you enough room (just) to remove the fog lamp.

3) You CAN NOT remove the front foglight bulbs before removing the connector plug!!! I would like to shake the person who designed this warmly by the throat until dead

Try as you might the front foglights have a lug which prevents you rotating the bulb to release it if you leave the connector on. Just to be really arkward the connectors press to release at the bottom / wire end NOT in the conventional manner at the top / bulb end"
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby AdyP » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Hmm...not convinced about that.

When I tried before there were too many pipes running above the bottle to allow it to move up much, hence my decision to take the long way around. I wonder if this is the version without Xenons and associated washers?

Anyway, it only cost me time, a couple of skinned knuckles and a broken arch clip or two (I got spares), and it would be a piece of doo-doo next time I think.
AdyP

Postby MiniMpi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:11 am

AdyP wrote:Hmm...not convinced about that.

When I tried before there were too many pipes running above the bottle to allow it to move up much, hence my decision to take the long way around. I wonder if this is the version without Xenons and associated washers?

Anyway, it only cost me time, a couple of skinned knuckles and a broken arch clip or two (I got spares), and it would be a piece of doo-doo next time I think.

No bother. I have to admit I didn't swap out the passenger side one, just the driver's side one and after moving the horn unit out of the way it was doable just about.
I have to replace the passenger side soon so I'll let you know if it works out this way or not.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby oliver » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 pm

I had left hand one replaced 2 years ago. Went from under the wheel arch.
The washer bottle made the job much more difficult.
oliver

Postby MiniMpi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:46 pm

I found out that apparently if no Xenons is not too bad a job, but if you Xenons then it's a right pig of a job.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby AdyP » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Hehe prepare yourself for the worst my man :)

You may lose a couple of arch trim clips in the process as well, I bought some in advance as there is nothing worse than knowing you will break one and not having a backup plan!!!!
AdyP

Postby AdyP » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Ah OK...Sport button. Wasn't crazy about the throttle being so hyperactive, but the fact the car pops and even bangs like a rally car occasionally has me sold. Any time I see brick walls to drive past...on it goes :)
AdyP

Postby irlmin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:26 pm

I am trying to find a way to bypass it and fix it in 'on ' only configuration !!!!!! :)
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby AdyP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 am

Leading us all into temptation Ger...
AdyP

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars