Go to footer

My '03 Cooper S

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Re: My '03 Cooper S

Postby irlmin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:10 pm

I would really think for a road car standard coil pack and standard leads would be ok , as regards the 15% pulley dont fit it unless you have a proper remap done as well ,if not you will risk burning the top off a piston and that will be expensive .NGK BKR 7 EQUP spark plugs will help as well . best mods for a road MCS R53 are , 15% pulley . remap , modified airbox , plugs and then if you still need more go fit GP type intercooler and Janspeed manifold and sport cat and of course a new map to suit that lot . MSD coils etc are fine and work well but in my experience are not worth the extra money over std .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Daniel S » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 pm

It'll be a track car eventually, or a barely legal road car. Either way, if I'm changing anything, I might as well put decent stuff in. I can't get it sent overnight, is there anywhere in Ireland that stocks the MSD coil packs or decent alternatives? I really need something by tomorrow.
Daniel S
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Daniel S » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:21 am

Turns out it's the fuel pump. Micks Garage have them for €260, are there cheaper alternatives?
Daniel S

Postby irlmin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Be careful you get the correct pump as the S needs a higher pressure than the one or cooper , the S pressure is 50psi and the Cooper is closer to 40 psi . they look similar .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Daniel S » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:30 pm

So while I'd normally stay away from doing this, I found a used fuel pump from a reputable mini spares place in the UK for £30+VAT and sent straight to the garage. The alternative was €300+ from BMW. New fuel filter from BMW is going in though obviously. It was diagnosis that I'm paying for really, as if the pump fails, I'll just do it myself. I'll only lose €50 or so. Hopefully will hear something this week.
Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Pump is fine.

But the coolant loss is back. It failed the sniff test this time, so the head is coming off at least. Should I stick with an OEM gasket or are the better alternatives (not just cheaper)?
Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Back from the garage, finally.
New:
Fuel pump - Used but with original float, due to it being a bit sticky. Gave bad fuel level reading on dash.
Fuel filter - Was black. The cause of the first pump dying.
Spark plugs
Alternator belt
Head gasket
Head bolts
Camshaft bolts

Head was pressure tested, skimmed and decoked.

Big bill to be paid, but considering the amount of work and that I was given a car for two weeks, it was a very fair. Hopefully I can now move onto mods and just enjoying some reliability! :D
Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Might have bagged a set of front R53 JCW calipers and carriers.

EDIT: Nope. They lads selling it thought they were JCW. I asked for a picture and they turned out to be red standard ones.

But I've nabbed R56 Cooper S brakes with loads of meat on the pads. Calipers, carriers, brake hoses and pads for £75 posted.

Brand new 294x22mm Mintex discs for £32 posted (more available if people want them).

I was asking my garage whether I should go with better brake fluid for track days. He came back with two bottles of Motul RBF 600 which he gave me for free! :D
Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Looking for a 15% pulley, new front seats, aero/JCW front grill and a dark grey tailgate.

Paint is awful, can't get a nurburgring sticker off, large dent and the rear wiper isn't working properly.
Daniel S

Postby irlmin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Usually have 15% pulley , have new 'Aero' grille in stock , have tailgate in black BUT with Aero spoiler . have 'Aero side skirts as well .what seats do you need ? did you get My reply to your message Friday ?
G'
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Daniel S » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi Ger,

Only seeing it now sorry!

I'd be looking to get the same colour tailgate, wouldn't be bad enough to spend the money respraying just yet.

I'm open to any seats, basically anything better than stock. Haven't too much to spend in this area though.

15% pulley is definitely the next thing on the list once I get the brakes installed, which should be done tomorrow.

Dan
Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:26 am

Been planning on installing R56 Cooper S brakes on my R53 Cooper S for a while now. Got a great deal, £32 for new Mintex discs posted and £75 for the used brakes. Free Motul brake fluid from my local garage too!

276mm to 294mm disc upgrade.

Picked up some copper grease, brake cleaner and a one-man-bleeding bottle from Halfords for €20.

The brakes are far too small.

Pretty bad lip on the disc, fairly sure these are the original discs. Don't think any of these parts have ever been off before other than to change the pads.

Tried removing the caliper from the carrier... 7mm hex. I've 8 and 6mm.

Second trip to Halfords and I'm sorted. 16mm socket and 7mm hex. Picket up some WD 40 and a new magnetic light too.

Now it's dark, starting to feel like a long night.

Caliper removed from carrier.

Bolt is stripped pretty badly. Socket is sliding off. After about an hour of swearing at it, a neighbour of mine came out with a box of tricks.

These are amazing!

Bolt out!

Spend the next two hours trying to get the disc retaining bolt out. Eventually gave up and moved to the otherside... where I got stuck at the same point. The disc retaining bolt is absolutely seized in there. This is where I gave in, packed everything up and brought it inside. I'll drill out the bolt tomorrow and just leave it.

Getting a lift to work tomorrow....

Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:03 pm

I'm just going to pretend everything went very smoothly and with little or no effort, this was the result. Hopefully that'll last another 14 years and I won't have to touch it! haha! Those were in fact the original discs!
Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Replaced the brake fluid today, Motul RPF 600. The stuff that came out was absolutely black.
Daniel S

Postby Daniel S » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Bought OZ Superturismo WRC wheels. Great deal on them, hopefully they're as good in real life as the pictures.
Daniel S

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars