Go to footer

My new 83 Spree

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

My new 83 Spree

Postby Airhead » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi folks. I just bought my second ever mini. The car is still in the care of Minifix getting a couple of bits done before I collect it next week. It's a black 1983 1000cc Spree model. A model I'm finding hard to find any others of. It's an honest car. A little tatty but I don't mind doing a few bits to get it looking right but it will be staying totally original. Does anyone on here know the car? It spent some time in sandyford. It's reg is OSI395, hence the name Ozzy. It's an original Irish car.

As for me, I've had and have a few classics. I've a 1974 1303S beetle with a modified engine and an 87 VW camper. My dad and I had a clubman when I was only 16. I'm 35 now so that's a while ago. I had an MGB for a while too.

I'll upload some photos soon.
Airhead
Just Joined!

Re: My new 83 Spree

Postby Airhead » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Airhead
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi and welcome to the site , congrats on getting your mini , The Spree is unique to Ireland and I only ever remember seeing a few back in the 'day' , being an original Irish car is a big bonus as Irish minis tended not to rust as much as UK ones ( possibly due to us not salting roads during winter ) anyway I would be getting it back as close to original as possible if I were you and enjoy its rarity . G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Airhead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Thanks for the info and the welcome. Fortunately the car is all there and in an unmodified state so it's really just a case of tidying it up, undersealing it and making sure everything is working as it should. Paul in minifix is doing some work on it before I collect it anyway. Does anyone know what the craic is with seat rail extenders though? Between that (I'm 6"2) and an electronic ignition to get rid of those bloody points, they'll be the only modifications it will be getting.
Airhead
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 pm

The seat extenders were very popular , I haven't seen them for sale recently but I am sure Paul or James will find a set for you , they can also be made up easily . electronic ign is an excellent plan as well ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Airhead » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:25 am

Great stuff, thanks. I'll have a talk with them so. Aside from that, where would you recommend for parts? Is there any good Irish suppliers or is the UK the best bet?
Airhead
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars