Go to footer

Project RSP

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Postby Derfinn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Wow!
That's brilliant news!
Congrats on the new RSP, Ger!
Derfinn
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby iwanagofast » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:14 am

Would this mean that there is a spare set of RSP wheels knocking about the place?
[img:321:240]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/iwanagofast/MINI%20and%20focus/100_0300-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
iwanagofast

Re: Project RSP

Postby irlmin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:50 pm

UPDATE, I have sold the original RSP project and am now concentrating on the 'new' one which is RSP no 350, it was fitted with sportpack arches when I got it which have now been removed , of course whoever fitted them did it correctly and cut the front wings for clearance so I will have to fit 2 new wings , door skins are blistering ---- so its 2 door skins , but aside from sorting the arch fitting holes in the rear side panels the body shell is in excellent condition , I will have to respray the sides and new std arches , then its down to mechanical bits , at present its pretty good with slight grating going into 2nd and 3rd gears , here is the plan , 73.5mm offset bore block with line bored journals , new cam bearings , Swiftune SW5 cam + vernier timing gears , powermax 73.5 mm pistons , new stroke corrected and hardened crank , conrods balanced and checked , ST 4 big valve head , Janspeed LCB and system , 2 x 1.5" SU carbs , Aldon distributor ,I have managed to get most of the bits from an RSP 'S' conversion so this used Janspeed exhaust components and this is what I will use , lightned flywheel , Full gearbox rebuild and change to 3.44:1 CWP , also looking at Quaife LSD but not sure about this yet , Brakes will be vented / grooved 8.4" discs with alloy 4 pot calipers , rear genuine 'minifins' . suspension wise its conventional with Hi-Lo's and AVO shocks , adjustable tie bars and 1.5 degree negative camber bottom arms , rear again adjustable camber brackets . interior is totally original and excellent at present and I intend to just fit a John Cooper signed Motolita steering wheel , interior trim will be standard BUt i am trying to source the original 'lightning' cloth and have 2 Recaro seats retrimmed with 1/2 leather / lightning cloth with red beading as per RSP . body work will be finished off with RSP 'S' badging which came with the 'S' conversion , finished car should be pretty good and will look really standard . may also fit r/h fuel tank as this was also a JC accessory for the RSP . wheels will be minilite 5.5" x 12 with Yokohama A048 165 x 55 x 12 tyres , so there is the plan , most of the bits are in the workshop , we will get the bodywork sorted 1st and then move on from there , I want to try to keep this a rolling resto if possible , pics as work progresses ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby irlmin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:22 pm

My original RSP project car has left my garage for its new owner , plan is to restore to original and as I plan to do to my latest RSP the new owner is also going to upgrade engine / box and also brakes , suspension etc , but remain close to original look . He is planning to have it finished some time during 2010 . so RSP no 831 is going to get a new lease of life ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby irlmin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Parts are now being collected for My RSP project , having removed the Sportpack arches some previous owner fitted I will have to fit 2 new wings as the originals have been cut to clear the big wheels , I also need 2 door skins or doors , then its sort the holes from the sportpack arches in the rear quarter panels and a decent repaint of the lower part of the car ,a set of original RSP arches in black ( body colour ) new brightwork and 'S' badges and the exterior will be finished , interior is mint and only requires a change to My John Cooper signed Motolita steering wheel , longer term a set of Recaro seats in the correct RSP 'lightning' trim will be fitted . I have already started on the engine / box with a reconditioned gearbox with 4 pin diff and 3.44:1 fd ready to go , i have outlined the engine options in a previous post and am looking forward to getting stuck in to this project .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby inny1300 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi Gread,sounds as though you are moving very well,and it is a mini that is getting very rare these days,i look forward to seeing it when it is done,regards jon :1icon_twisted:
inny1300

Postby scottmaher32 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 pm

god id love to do all that with my mini ha how much (vaugly) would it all cost for the sand blast and respray if ya dont mind me askin
scottmaher32
Getting used to the place

Postby irlmin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:52 pm

It really depends on how good your mini shell is , as a guide if you want to replace sills , A panels , wings , door skins , rear valance , front panel ,wiper panel etc etc and a very good respray you are looking at anywhere between € 3000 and € 5000 . now if your mini is pretty rust free you would reduce this figure considerably . I would always recommend making sure your mini is structurally good before you spend any major money on cosmetics , its amazing how many people spend mega money on wheels , body kits , etc etc on minis which really should have the same money spent on basic structural items before any mods start .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars