Go to footer

remaping??? what is it?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

remaping??? what is it?

Postby GHOST » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:48 pm

..Hey,,, so,,,i've heard this term used along with power and slugish,,,
my cooper slows down sometimes when i pull out of my driveway, and i want it do th opposite.
GHOST
Getting used to the place

Re: remaping??? what is it?

Postby irlmin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi ,
Before you look at remapping you should make sure all the basics are sorted , ie spark plugs , ignition leads etc etc then look at a remap , a remap is downloading the cars ecu ( brain) data and having it optomised then uploading the modified data file , this results in more power more torque and usually an improvement of up to 10% in fuel consumption as well as a more 'smooth' driving experience , in the case of the R50 MINI the MINI One really performes well following a remap , from 90bhp to in excess of 130 bhp , the MINI Cooper which is the same engine but has 115 standard is also increased to 130 + bhp . the remap usually sorts the poor low down acceleration .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby GHOST » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 am

ok,,so,,,if i remap my baby's brain,,,lol,,,can i make my wheels spin on takeoff ??
7 weeks (is that all) driving and no complaints except if i give her to much gas (90' left hand turn at my gates onto fast road),, she pulls out and kinda switches off,,,or slows down,,and slowly takes off and then she's gone,,,running smooth,,, i got 20L petrol in Bantry,, 1.20.1 a liter,,, (with a drop of Dipthane) and i got 145 miles, 33/gallon or something.
just took her for a spin,,,floored it at my gates,,,and she slows right down,,, and something similar through th gears and then she sorts herself out. But if i take off slow she behaves sweet. :alien:
GHOST

Postby Ace of Spades » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:48 am

Hi bud, could it be the traction control is kicking in if you are flooring it out of a 90 left?
You should notice the yellow traction light flashing and a temporary loss of power / traction as you gun it.
Try easing the power on and see if it helps, or turn the traction off to see if that's it.
Ace of Spades
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby GHOST » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:17 pm

...tanx Ace,,,i dont hav a traction control, DSC, ASC on/off button.
and yes,,, if i wait for th car coming to pass,,, and ease out slowly(ish), then i hav no problem except i now hav a car in front of me,,,lol.
I dont see any lights on but i will check.
And,,, i want to b able to spin my wheels a fraction,, bite,, and jump forward,, like my old Renault 19 RSI.
...(can i say "Renault" here????? lol)
GHOST

Postby GHOST » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:10 pm

...so,,,hopped into her in my gravel driveway,, and spun wheels down to my gate,, floored her turning left onto th road...and...everything worked th way it should!!!
Perhaps she heard me complaining???!!! or,, i did clean my air filter last night,,,???? :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:
GHOST

Postby Masterbiker » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:51 pm

I suspect it's mostly the way you're driving the dip in power. If you don't get the rev's and clutch control right the car will get "bogged" down.
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby GHOST » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 pm

...yea,,MB,,,i thought,, perhaps u'r right,,, perhaps i was doing something incorrectly, (i'dd rather it was me than my little baby), so i just went out and drove like a granny to see if could recreate th problem,,, and NO.
She seem to b working fine now.
Th air filter was pretty manky,,, so in dusted it off and then vacuum cleaned it (new one ordered), and i guess that was th cause.
It wasnt really "bogged down",,, more like switched off (to a low setting) by computer.
GHOST

Postby GHOST » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:33 pm

...so, i just came across th term, "zero throttle effect" which occurs when car detects wheelspin.
There is gravel at th end of my driveway, and a little rise just before th road, and so i often spin my wheels to launch, and suddenly i'm in th road going much slower than i should b!!!
Yes,,,it's still happening,,,every now and then,,, and now i kno why!!!!!
:evil7:
GHOST

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help