Go to footer

R50 Midland to Getrag, Gearbox: Part2

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

R50 Midland to Getrag, Gearbox: Part2

Postby GHOST » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:04 pm

so,, for any body who did'nt get to read part 1 (Dec 17), i asked if anybody could give me some advice/knowledge about what i was in for now my '02 R50 gearbox was broken. (one piece of advice could hav been, "declare it off th road because it might take months to sort and u dont wanna b caught out paying tax on a car u cant drive")
LOL, once i realized how silly th question was i deleted th post. (it turns out U could write a book about it lol )
Anyway,,,i just got a quote for "Getrag Facelift 5speed gearbox, cluch, flywheel, axles, starter motor, shift cables and box, wiring loom and box support. Box revised fully 8K km's ago. Bearings replaced with stronger ones. Fully warrantied by company." 950 euro including shipping.
And i'm wondering,, anyone know much about this?
It's a lot of money for me,,considering th further 500-600 (?) to get it fitted. (that's almost like buying a new car). :banghead:
And/but... i'm not sure how confident i am putting another midland in there, as she is parked up right now with a hole in th Differential housing bell like so many others gone before it. :rolleyes:
but this seems to b a real possibility.
:evil7:
Oh no,,a friend just pointed out my figure is before tax, so this is looking a lot more unlikely now :banghead:

And i had plans to remap her (not sure i should do this with th '02 gearbox, would it put more or less strain on th box?),,perhaps upgrade my brakes, but if it's a midlands for now then i guess i will hav to alter my style of driving! :1icon_pale:
Last edited by GHOST on Fri May 20, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
GHOST
Getting used to the place

Re: R50 Midland to Getrag, Gearbox: Part2

Postby GHOST » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:10 pm

...so,, it's like 50 days without my car !!!!!
I've found a few places in england and usa that recondition r65 (midlands gearbox) and they are either very costly,, or they want your old (undamaged) gearbox, but NONE of them will post to Ireland!!! (except for that one guy in Holland with th reconditioned Getrag)
I can hear my Mother telling me....
"I bought a Pig in a poke!!" :S
Not sure exactly what that means,,but it's pretty obvious that there is a big problem with these boxes, or they would not b so hard to replace! (turns out a "poke" is a small cloth bag, so that U cant see what U'r buying inside,, which is pretty much every second hand car)
Does anyone know where i might enquire about "alloy welding"??? ,,,if i weld/repair th bell casing i could get a rebuild kit (from somewhere,,,lol) and put it back together that way, just not sure i'm brave enough to tackle that.

Alternatively,,,, if anyone wants to buy my car, she was running pretty sweet before all this. All offers considered.
Last edited by GHOST on Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GHOST

Postby GHOST » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:44 am

anyone here heard of John Coffee, (johntee@btinternet), coventry, england?
"Mini Gearboxes Limited"
he sells remanufactured gearbox R50 with 12 month warranty.
just waiting on a quote,, looks like 625euro with shipping but without clutch, 1,100 with clutch and shipping.(can this b right?)
maybe more but it still seems like my best option.
it's funny,,, TNZO is th dearest thing i hav ever bought,,, and th 2nd dearest thing is th replacement gearbox for her!!!!
(update), oh no,,, prices r without VAT (again). Will hav final price tomorrow, :1icon_eek: , but its not looking good!!! (can someone (Owen?) please put up a smiley face with steam coming out of th ears????) lol.
(this guy was meant to send an invoice but i never heard from him again)
Last edited by GHOST on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
GHOST

Postby GHOST » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:33 pm

...so,,,picked up TNZO today from my local mechanic,,, new, (2nd hand) gearbox,, midland R65,,, "tanx Ger",, and a new clutch kit, also from OLG. Very smooth action,,, into reverse, up and down through th gears,,, my dogs r delighted,,,lol.
So nice to b behind th wheel of a MINI again. MY MINI!!!,,LOL. :1icon_blackeye:
She got a bit mouldy inside after being parked up for 9weeks, in an outside courtyard, with a mechanic i've used 3-4 times before,,, and some paint is flaking off at th petrol cap area, but it was going that way for a while ,, and she needs a good wash,(grease and dirt and hand prints inside and out),, and somehow they lost my battery cover(???) replacing it next week,,,next week,,, next week,,next,,,lol.
and i had to grease both my door hinges as they were making a creaking noise opening,,,
but i'm just so glad to get her back i don't really care.
(although i am a bit concerned my passenger door looks too close to th front panel (almost rubbing) but it might hav always been like that, is it possible she's just a bit outa shape after th surgery?? ;) )
and just found out TONIGHT IN TH DARK, (took her for a little spin,, she's running really nice),, I've NO reversing lights.!!!!! (LOL, my '82 mini never had reversing lights fitted, had to use a spot with a switch)
So,, new wipers,,, new steering wheel glove from Aldi (4.99 lol),,needs a bit of a tidy,,, gonna put in my MSD coil in th next few days,i hope,, and soon i hope to get her remapped, i think,,lol,,
AND then i'm thinking a brake upgrade,,,.
Oh,, and i hav some rally/race numbers to go on her after that!!! ,,not to race,, just for fun, i think they might make th car look a little smaller :1icon_exclaim:
Such a little car,, so much fun!!!!
UPDATE: (Did i say "fun"???,,lol)
Last edited by GHOST on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
GHOST

Postby GHOST » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:29 pm

..so, I'm about a week back driving TNZO, and everything seems perfect, :1icon_cool: , except i hav no reversing light.
A switch shaped like a spark plug screws down into th gearbox through th casing, and my new one didn't/doesn't work.
And my old switch doesn't fit!!!
And there is a bolt missing that my mechanic told me isn't important,, but I'm not so sure!!!
Anyway, got a new switch on ebay, hope it's th right one, will kno tomorrow. Fit new switch (really light, aluminum instead of th brass of my old switch),,, and away we go....!!!!!!
Oh, i fit th MSD coil over th weekend. But another switch (where th coil connects) wouldn't close properly which i think made th check engine light come on,, and she developed an extra vibration,, so i went back to th stock coil for now. But i did notice th instant start-up. For now i just want to get back to "normal" before i do anything else.
Only,,, i bought a little 11.5 foot wooden yacht 2 days ago,, so i now NEED a towbar on my mini. ;) (need a licence first,, lol ) ,,,(( or maybe just a good strong roof-rack :1icon_idea: ))
UPDATE: so,,, i had th wrong switch,,, which is why it didn't look like a switch,,, because it was an oil sensor (or something).
anyway,,, found th right switch, (under th air filter box,which takes a bit of work to remove first time around) and it wasn't connected!!!
So,, plugged in and sure enough,, everything is great.
"NEXT"....... lol :1icon_cool:
(((although,, i hav to say,,, She's running really, really nice right now, and i hav 2 really cool spare switches!!!)))
Last edited by GHOST on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GHOST

Postby GHOST » Sat May 07, 2016 9:45 pm

...so,, 2 months down th road and I'm still getting used to my new gearbox. She developed a problem getting into reverse,,so i emptied th trans oil and found there was only 1L in there. And some small flakes of metal on th magnetic screw-head,, but very little really.
So I put 2L of Gear oil (castrol Syntrax) in through th reversing light switch,, which was very easy to do, just a small funnel was needed.
And she is driving much nicer. I think there might b a bit less vibration in th car and th gear change is very smooth. No more problems with reverse.

GHOST

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help